schedule notebook/planner?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sherry80

schedule notebook/planner?

Post by sherry80 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 am

We are doing Bigger with extensions with a 11yo and 9yo but using our own Math (teaching textbooks) and our own grammar and writing (GWG and WWW)
I am also doing Little Hands for my preschoolers but they will also be doing AAR level pre-1 but at different paces. My almost 5yo will be doing Math and HW recommended in the Little Hearts pkg and same with my 6yo for a 1st grader.
I know HOD is open and go but since we are tweaking things a bit, I was thinking it might be easier for me to get a planner where I write in what I need to do each day to check off.
This way I can keep up with the 5 kids who will be doing school or preschool--plus my 2 1yo's and a new one due in March!
What do you think? Any ideas?
Sherry

blessedmomof4

Re: schedule notebook/planner?

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am

Yes, I would think a planner/schedule would help maintain a smooth flow, and your sanity :D I am only schooling two this year and also have a baby on the way, but I am also taking college courses online (for the next 7 weeks anyhow, and will take 3-4 more classes in the spring to complete my degree), so I am also looking to schedule my days more efficiently. I know Julie has posted some wonderful examples of her daily schedules for multiple children, and I have looked them up for inspiration :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 am

blessedmomof4 wrote:... I know Julie has posted some wonderful examples of her daily schedules for multiple children, and I have looked them up for inspiration :)
Thanks, Lourdes! You are such a sweetheart! :D :D :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 am

sherry80 wrote:We are doing Bigger with extensions with a 11yo and 9yo but using our own Math (teaching textbooks) and our own grammar and writing (GWG and WWW)
I am also doing Little Hands for my preschoolers but they will also be doing AAR level pre-1 but at different paces. My almost 5yo will be doing Math and HW recommended in the Little Hearts pkg and same with my 6yo for a 1st grader.
I know HOD is open and go but since we are tweaking things a bit, I was thinking it might be easier for me to get a planner where I write in what I need to do each day to check off.
This way I can keep up with the 5 kids who will be doing school or preschool--plus my 2 1yo's and a new one due in March!
What do you think? Any ideas?
Sherry
Hi Sherry80! It sounds like you are going to have some HOD fun this year with BHFHG + ext., and LHTH. :D Doing multiple guides with HOD is not hard to do. Though days are admittedly busy (and you know they will be as a mama of many blessings :D ), the guides truly are open and go, which is such a help to us homeschooling moms. :D I like to make a schedule that has teaching blocks and independent blocks planned. It really helps me "see" my day on one page. My older dc get a copy of the schedule, and they can better "see" their day this way too. They like to get into a routine and know what is next. :D Here is my schedule from a few years' back for BHFHG and LHTH - maybe it can act as a sounding board for your schedule...
Image Image

I use the guides themselves as planners, jotting anything I need to in the daily plans, and dating the table of contents with the dates we finish each unit as a record of what we do. This has worked well and been a time saver! :D One last tip - having each of the other dc take a turn playing with each of the younger dc has been a great help in our school time. It has also developed close relationships among siblings of different ages. That may be something to consider as a "help" for you this year. HTH, and please share your days with us here, and ask any additional questions you may have! We like to help here. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie