Carrie - Writing Curriculum Question...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Carrie - Writing Curriculum Question...

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 pm

My youngest son is working in Preparing right now, and while writing is not scheduled daily, I did see that there were recommendations for anyone wanting to pursue that route. My bacherlor's is in English and I have tried many, many writing programs with very little success. We did enjoy "Write with the Best" in CTC with my oldest son, but I did not want to do that one with the youngest this year (way too advanced). Anyway, in my searches, I found "Write Shop." They had a level D - Junior available and I decided to give it a try with my youngest son. He LOVES it. He begs to do it each time I get it out! That is definitely success. My question to you is - have you ever considered this program for HOD guides - and specifically (Write Shop Levels I and II) , have you considered it in the High-School level guides? If you have and have decided against it, would you care to share why? I greatly value your opions! Thank you in advance.

Rebecca
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

exodus4

Re: Carrie - Writing Curriculum Question...

Post by exodus4 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:08 pm

I'd be interested to hear about WS too. My son loved WS b and c .

Tree House Academy

Re: Carrie - Writing Curriculum Question...

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I do know that write shop is probably the most teacher intensive subject I teach each day - and this even includes Latin and all of the history reading/activities and Science from Preparing. Maybe that is why it doesn't work well with HOD. It is a solid program, from what I am finding, but takes a lot of advanced prep and teacher time.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.