When to start cursive?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhome

When to start cursive?

Post by happyhome » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I am doing bigger half speed with my second grader. We will probably progress to full speed by Christmastime- or at least that is my hope. She is a very artistic, left- hander. Handwriting has been no problem for her- she writes better than her 4th grade sister. My question is- should I start cursive with her? Her older sister did it in 3rd grade, and my older public schooled kids never really learned it but I think were introduced around 3rd grade. Is it a common thing to begin in 2nd grade or are there specific signs- like how well she writes, etc. I also want her to be fully ready for the cursive which comes in Preparing- when we get there.
Thanks!

lissiejo

Re: When to start cursive?

Post by lissiejo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Cursive is taught at various ages for different reasons. Abeka even has a Kindergarten cursive option. I think it depends on the child's motor skills ability. Kids don't always develop at the same speed, as I'm sure you know. My daughter was going to be taught cursive after Christmas in 1st grade if we had not pulled her out. As it was, she was begging to learn, so I let her do some cursive and some print because her printing really wasn't solid yet. Once she was done with her printing practice we moved to full-on cursive. It has worked fine for her and I don't expect her letters to be as well formed as they will in 3rd grade. I think it's sort of like everything else...there is no hard and fast rule about when you are supposed to do it, just when you and your child are ready.

We're in Bigger half speed for 2nd grade this year as well :)

Melissa
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

My son is in 2nd/Bigger and we are doing cursive. The first week or two I thought it was a big mistake, but all of the sudden, everything is flowing much smoother! He is 7 and has always had great fine motor skills, although his printing is a little sloppy. :wink:

HTH
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

I think it is best to wait until you are happy with their printing ability. I started mine toward the end of Bigger.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:06 pm

If you decide not to do cursive yet, remember you have the option of doing the poetry copywork for continued printing practice. If you decide to start a cursive program, you can drop the copywork :) You can always wait till her third grade year and simply add a cursive program to Preparing, but it's really up to you.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12