Spelling Help?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mama247

Spelling Help?

Post by mama247 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi Ladies,

I posted a question about HOD's spelling/dictation vs. AAS the other day. Thank you to those to responded! I've been thinking about this subject for the past day or so and I still have some questions...

I really would like to use HOD's CM method of spelling/dictation. I'm wondering though...when do you teach any spelling "nuts and bolts"? Like the little rules of "change the 'y' to an 'i' and add an 'es" type stuff? Does this come naturally through dictation, too?

Is there a handy book of spelling rules one might use to throw those little rules in while doing the CM method of spelling/dictation?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Any experience you can share? :D

Thank you!!!

mom23

Re: Spelling Help?

Post by mom23 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:51 pm

I've wondered about this, too. So far I haven't seen any presentation of "rules"...I know there are always exceptions to them, and maybe that's confusing to some kids, but I still find myself mentally reciting things like "i before e, except after c" when I'm trying to spell.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Those kinds of things are actually covered in Rod and Staff grammar-those rules really apply to grammar and mechanics, like regular and irregular plural forms of words (baby-babies, knife-knives, for example) :) Studied dictation for spelling, when you follow the instructions in the appendix of the HOD guides, really yields results that carry over into the rest of children's writing. My dd has improved greatly after a year and a half of dictation.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 am

blessedmomof4 wrote:Those kinds of things are actually covered in Rod and Staff grammar-those rules really apply to grammar and mechanics, like regular and irregular plural forms of words (baby-babies, knife-knives, for example) :) Studied dictation for spelling, when you follow the instructions in the appendix of the HOD guides, really yields results that carry over into the rest of children's writing. My dd has improved greatly after a year and a half of dictation.
I am SO glad to hear this! I have taken the plunge to do spelling the HOD way, but was still concerned about the "rules". I am very glad to hear that some of them are covered in R&S!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

mama247

Post by mama247 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Oh, awesome! I had no idea more spelling rules would be covered in R&S. That makes sense that they would be introduced as it applies to grammar.

Something handy (and a suggestion) for the HOD website under the "A Look at Each Subject" portion - if something was mentioned about spelling "rules" being addressed in R&S grammar, that would have been extremely helpful. It would definitely answer the questions of future spelling and how it plays out using HOD and CM spelling methods. :D

Knowing more in-depth spelling is covered grammatically is a big load off of my mind! Thanks, ladies!

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 pm

mama247 wrote:Something handy (and a suggestion) for the HOD website under the "A Look at Each Subject" portion - if something was mentioned about spelling "rules" being addressed in R&S grammar, that would have been extremely helpful. It would definitely answer the questions of future spelling and how it plays out using HOD and CM spelling methods. :D!
I definitely second this suggestion.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory