Am I set for Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofjka

Am I set for Preparing?

Post by momofjka » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I've looked through several threads and I "think" I have what I need, but I'd appreciate it if someone whose done PHFHG could verify that I am set:

I have 1 very large binder with the following tabs:
Independent History
History Written Narrations
Science Notebooking
(Day 3) Science 5 Questions
Science Experiments

I also use 3 spiral bound notebooks, one for vocabulary, one for copywork, and one for dictation. (On a side note, we used the spiral bound notebooks last year in Bigger instead of index cards or composition books for these subjects, it really worked for us, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some special reason to use the other).
Am I set? I hope so, because my kiddos are READY and begging me to start, lol! This morning my son told me he got up early so he'd be ready. I am THRILLED that they are so looking forward to our year!
Wife of Jim
Mom of:
Jason (10) PHFHG
Katrina (7) BLHFHG
Anthony (5) LHFHG
Vincent (Born 4/23/2012)

gmhaynes

Re: Am I set for Preparing?

Post by gmhaynes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm starting Preparing this month and that sounds a lot like what I have. So I think you are all set! Once you get started, I'm sure you will figure it out pretty quickly if you aren't! :D
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

beverett

Post by beverett » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 pm

We just finished Preparing and we all LOVED it!! You guys are in for an awesome year! :D :D It looks like you have most everything... the only 2 things I can remember that I do not see on your list are a Common Place Book and a place to store the poetry writing.

For the common place book I just took them to the Christian bookstore in town and let them pick a journal. They each picked very different choices :D . Then we just stored our poetry writing in a folder with page protectors. You could easily add another section to your large binder though? :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

momofjka

Post by momofjka » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:26 am

Beverett,

Do we have to use a Common Place book or is a spiral notebook acceptable? Also, when I put down I had a notebook for copywork, that is actually our notebook for Poetry (my son copied the poems last year for his copywork). Does that sound right or does Preparing have copywork that is separate from the Poetry?

Thanks for the help, I'm excited...I've heard great things about Preparing! :)
Wife of Jim
Mom of:
Jason (10) PHFHG
Katrina (7) BLHFHG
Anthony (5) LHFHG
Vincent (Born 4/23/2012)

mom23

Post by mom23 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:17 am

I would think a spiral notebook would work okay for a Common Place book-just supposed to be something set aside for only that purpose. The only thing I could see with a spiral notebook is that you may have a problem with pages tearing out and getting lost, but depending on your child :) , you might be fine. My daughter would be fine with spiral, my son not so much. :lol:

For copywork, they do copy other things. We're just a few units in, so I can't speak for the whole guide, but my daughter copies out of the Draw and Write Through History book regularly. There are writing activities with the poetry-not necessarily copy work, but beginning creative writing. You might want a seperate place for poetry writing and copywork.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

beverett

Post by beverett » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:56 am

I agree with mom23... You do not "have" to have a common place book, a spiral would be fine. It is just for the purpose of keeping Bible verses, famous quotes, and other sayings that are worth keeping and looking back upon later. This is where you would do your "copy work" for this year (she does not have them copy the poetry). Instead the poetry is used as a basis for learning creative writing/poetry writing (my kiddos loved this, it was really great) . The poetry notebook you mentioned would work well for the poetry writing! :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

momofjka

Post by momofjka » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks again ladies! Looks like I really am set, yeah! And mom23, I wanted to say that you replied on another post about scheduling and it was VERY helpful. Between you and Julie (and wisdom from God!), I was able to put together a mixture of the ideas and come up with a schedule that will work for us. I really liked the "block time" idea and that made it easier to plug everything in. So, now I can really look forward to starting fresh our new school year with a schedule, supplies, and lots of enthusiasm! :)
Wife of Jim
Mom of:
Jason (10) PHFHG
Katrina (7) BLHFHG
Anthony (5) LHFHG
Vincent (Born 4/23/2012)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:35 pm

momofjka wrote:Thanks again ladies! Looks like I really am set, yeah! And mom23, I wanted to say that you replied on another post about scheduling and it was VERY helpful. Between you and Julie (and wisdom from God!), I was able to put together a mixture of the ideas and come up with a schedule that will work for us. I really liked the "block time" idea and that made it easier to plug everything in. So, now I can really look forward to starting fresh our new school year with a schedule, supplies, and lots of enthusiasm! :)
Oh good! I'm so glad to be of some help! This was just so nice to read. :D Have a great start to PHFHG!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie