Beyond - Kids Bible - what is it used for??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
intotheirhearts

Beyond - Kids Bible - what is it used for??

Post by intotheirhearts » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 pm

What are the kids Bibles in Beyond Little Hearts used for and how many pages at one time is the child expected to read? Is the story Bible reading used for continued phonics and reading improvement? Or more for comprehension. My son can read out of the Beginners Bible (the higher level one) with just a couple words per page that he struggles with. He can read everything from the Early Readers Bible (from what I can tell from the online sample we looked at). So if the kids Bible is used to help with improving phonics and reading skills, maybe I will get the higher level one. But if the focus is on reading comprehension then I might get the Early Readers Bible.

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it might be more important to choose the one that he can read very well in order to help with fluency and confidence in reading. And who really likes to be frustrated with struggling with words while reading the Bible?

I am just not sure what the kids Bible is used for in the lesson plans.

Thanks for any input!

RecumbentHeart

Re: Beyond - Kids Bible - what is it used for??

Post by RecumbentHeart » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:29 pm

You mean from the Emergent Reader set? It is kind of a next step on after phonics instruction but there are comprehension questions and narration prompts for each section read also. Does that help at all? I think I'd go for less difficult, aiming for confidence and comprehension building.
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 pm

The Bibles you are referring to are part of the Emerging Readers set. In the appendix of the Beyond guide the page numbers are listed that should be read each day by the student (outloud to the teacher), with questions for the teacher to ask once the reading is finished. I would say that you are working towards fluency, confidence, and comprehension. You can either choose one Bible or the other depending on what level of reading your child is on when you start the program, since one Bible is more difficult than the other. Some moms, choose to do both Bibles - starting with the easier one, then when they finish, going on to the more difficult one before moving onto the rest of the books in the set. Is this helpful?

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am

Yes, your goal with either of these is really both-reading/phonics and comprehension. When you say he can read the harder one, with only a couple of words being a struggle on each page...how easily can he read the other words? You will read a few pages (not a lot, maybe 3 to 5 at the most) each day, so if it's going to take a really long time to get through one and have it be a struggle to the point that he dreads reading, I'd opt for the easier Bible. However, if he's flying through the easier one and feels like it's too easy, and can read the harder one fairly well while still having a small challenge I'd go for the harder one. As far as comprehension goes-you will want him to be able to get an overall feel for the flow of the words and not get too bogged down on figuring out each and every word to the point that nothing is sinking in. You do have questions after each reading assignment to help guide the comprehension side of things, so don't worry too much about that-it will develop.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:42 am

Such good advice here already - I hope you'll be able to see these responses, as they are so helpful! :D I was a mom that used both Bibles from the Emerging Reader's set, which adds about 9 weeks to the schedule. Just like you, I wanted to work on reading comprehension, as well as build confidence. It worked so well! :D We really did enjoy both Bibles, though certainly one would suffice otherwise. After we finished the Early Reader's Bible, I let my ds take it to church. Then, after we finished The Beginner's Bible, I let him choose to take either to church. He felt so grown-up, and loved them both. As far as the rest of the emerging reader's selections, they represent a nice balance of genres, and did a wonderful job of moving my ds up the hierarchy of reading levels. The questions HOD has in the Appendix really helped my dc to improve their reading comprehension skills, as well as their oral narration skills. I am looking forward to doing the emerging readers a third time soon with my third ds and cannot wait! It is very exciting to see dc moving along in their reading, and by the close of the emerging reader's set, so much growth has happened that I have to pinch myself to believe it is true. I hope you enjoy it as well! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie