RTR question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovemythree

RTR question

Post by lovemythree » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm getting ready to purchase RTR for dd11. Problem is, we're in the middle of a move, and it's not really in the budget to add on the Basic Package of history read-alouds. Most of these books are not available in our small town library, so we'll most likely have to do without. How much is not having this package going to affect us in the daily guide? From the sample week, it looks like questions are specific to these books. Is that the case? Or can we make due with just any read aloud, even if not from the same time period?
Thanks in advance,
Lindsay

annaz

Re: RTR question

Post by annaz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 pm

lovemythree wrote:I'm getting ready to purchase RTR for dd11. Problem is, we're in the middle of a move, and it's not really in the budget to add on the Basic Package of history read-alouds. Most of these books are not available in our small town library, so we'll most likely have to do without. How much is not having this package going to affect us in the daily guide? From the sample week, it looks like questions are specific to these books. Is that the case? Or can we make due with just any read aloud, even if not from the same time period?
Thanks in advance,
Lindsay
The Storytime books (basic package books) do not have questions specific to the book. Most are generic so you could use them with any book. The catalog says if you need to economize you do not need this pack. You could make do with any read aloud from the same era and it will not affect the guide.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 pm

The history read-alouds will only affect the storytime box in the guide, so you will still get PLENTY of wonderful learning without them. I have to say that my son absolutely LOVED them last year though and they're at the top of his list of favorite things to do every day. :D They really do a great job of bringing the history time period to life for the students, so get any you can. Our small town library has "interlibrary loan", where we can request books and they'll get them from other small northern Kansas libraries. Now, we're never sure exactly how long that will take, and we have to return them within 14 days, but it would be better than nothing. :wink: And, they can usually come up with about any book.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

lovemythree

Post by lovemythree » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks Ladies! I hadn't even thought about interlibrary loan, we have that too. It's good to know we don't have to have the books if we can't find them though.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:39 am

Maybe you could see which ones are available from inter-library loan, and just get the ones they don't have available? We did love the books, but RTR is still a wonderful program without them! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie