4-day per week schedule

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DuckyMomma

4-day per week schedule

Post by DuckyMomma » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi...I am brand new at using material from Heart of Dakota. I purchased Drawn Into the Heart of Reading for my 7 year old and 11 year old and will start in a couple of weeks. As I was thinking about the school year I realized that we will be gone from home one full day per week because of a co-op. I didn't think that through when I purchased the curriculum. :? Anyway...I am wondering if anyone has used this curriculum on a 4 day schedule and if so, how you managed to get through all 9 genres in one year. Is there an alternative 4 day schedule out there somewhere? Thank you!! :D

jagshaugen

Re: 4-day per week schedule

Post by jagshaugen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 pm

We did the entire year last year on a 4 day school week schedule. I did the read-aloud storytime before bed 5 nights a week. Shortened up our activities during the day just a little and the kids really enjoyed having their bedtime story be part of school. Hope that helps.

A

DuckyMomma

Post by DuckyMomma » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 am

jagshaugen wrote:We did the entire year last year on a 4 day school week schedule. I did the read-aloud storytime before bed 5 nights a week. Shortened up our activities during the day just a little and the kids really enjoyed having their bedtime story be part of school. Hope that helps.

A
Hi jagshaugen,
Thank you for your reply! :O) When you mentioned the read aloud time, are you speaking of the daily reading requirements that the children read to the parents? :)

asherwood96

Post by asherwood96 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49 pm

We did HOD last year on a 4-day schedule b/c of a co-op also. However, my oldest was only in 2nd grade and I chose to start DITHOR this year w/ yer for 3rd grade.

jagshaugen

Post by jagshaugen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm

No- not the children reading aloud to me. I mean, the storytime section- where I read to them.

DuckyMomma

Post by DuckyMomma » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm only doing Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. Is there anyone out there only doing DITHOR who used a 4 day schedule and finished the entire years worth of that curriculum during the school year? How did you work out your schedule? :O) Thank you.