Combining DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Combining DITHOR

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 am

What do you do when you get to the point where you have more than one child in DITHOR, but one is going 3 days per week and one is doing it every day?

Honestly I think Jayden could do it every day and it wouldn't bother her at all... we went slowly with level two, so she'll just be doing level three books, so it wouldn't hurt her to go quicker through those than two years.

But I was just wondering how that works in most homes.

Kathleen

Re: Combining DITHOR

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am

We started mid-year with that here... Allison was just beginning DITHOR and Grant was using it 3 times per week along with RTR. I had Allison reading from her book daily, but we just did DITHOR lessons when Grant had his so that we lined up the together days. I've decided that this year I'm going to just have Allison do DITHOR daily along with Bigger and Grant will do it as scheduled in Rev2Rev. (So we won't line it up. :wink: ) I just think that will best fit both of their needs for reading instruction and the balance of their days. There's really only a year or so where it's an issue.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:27 am

I guess then that gives me a new question :)

If you just go with the schedules in the guide, what do you do when one child is halfway through the genres, but the other child is beginning? Do you then try to line up genres (when they get to the point where both are doing 3x/week)? or do you just keep them separated? Because the books increase in difficulty as they get farther in genres.

My guess for what we'll do is just continue to do DITHOR as a separate thing basically and not pay attention to the guide. Just have them reading their level of books and doing their level notebooks.

I just had not thought about the fact that Jayden technically, following the guide, should be doing 3x/w now and Grace will be doing daily. I had planned on them working together. Grace definitely doesn't need to slow down the way Jayden did (half speed for the first few genres and then a couple of weeks or more between genres)... I will probably still have them take a week or two break between genres just for my sanity :shock:

Molly

Post by Molly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:21 pm

I have two doing DITHOR, one who is doing BHFHG and one doing PHFHG, and we just do it three days a week. I'm not concerned about getting through genres quickly, as I figure they will have years of using DITHOR so they will still gain the benefit from it.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH