Coming Back To Homeschooling!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happy@home

Coming Back To Homeschooling!!!

Post by happy@home » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 am

I am so excited to be able to homeschool again this fall!! My dd (8) and ds (almost 10) were in ps January - May. We had homeschooled with HOD exclusively prior to that. We were halfway through Unit 17 in Bigger when they started ps.

I was thinking I would just pick up where we left off. The only "problem" I see with that would be that we would stop in the middle of a manual at the end of the "school year" from now on. :|

What do you ladies think? Should we finish Bigger Hearts before we start Preparing? Or should we just start Preparing now?

Praising God that I am able to homeschool again!!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

8arrows

Re: Coming Back To Homeschooling!!!

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 am

If they both place in Preparing, I would probably start there. It would be a fresh start for you back at home, and I do like completing a manual each year. You may feel differently. If you think the younger child needs a little more time, completing Bigger first is definatley a good option as well. Enjoy your year!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 am

Just praising God with you :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Did their skills grow while in PS?
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

witheagerhands

Post by witheagerhands » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:31 pm

yay!!!!
Sally
http://31thirteen.blogspot.com
MG, 11yo -- Preparing * Extensions * DITHOR, Level 6/7/8 + MUS
EK, 8yo -- Beyond + Cheerful Cursive + MUS
HR, 6yo -- LHFHG + Happy Handwriting
SA, 3yo -- keepin' it lively!
OCJ -- She came! 10/13/12

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 pm

I put my kids in school at unit 22 of Preparing. I always kinda felt I was pushing my son ahead. So, I've decided to start my oldest right into CTC and finish Preparing with DS. DS will finish around Christmas. He'll half speed CTC until Christmas next year, then full pace it the rest of the year and be ready to start RTR fall '14.

So, for us, I used it as an opportunity to uncombine. I would have finished either way as I love Preparing.

Another poster had a good question- Did they grow skill wise? And to that I'd add, skills that are used in HOD? Bigger is a foundational year.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks, ladies!!!

I would have to honestly say that they did NOT grow in ANY skill while in ps. I truly belive and my DH agrees with me, that they went backwards if anything. We feel that they didn't want my dd to excel above her classmates because she had always been homeschooled!! I won't give all the details as it is too early to raise my blood pressure!! :lol:

I was thinking that Bigger was a foundational year (thanks, Mumkins) and this was one of the reasons I thought we should finish it. My ds was already on the upper end age wise, so should I now add extensions for him?

I had toyed with the idea of separating them at this point, but can't really decide if I like that idea or not. They have fun doing the projects together.

I had also thought about doing school 5 days a week when we get to Preparing so that we could get back on track eventually.

Thanks, ladies, for your excitement for me!! I am already praying that we will homeschool next year!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 am

Any other thoughts from anyone? :)
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

If you feel they made no academic growth during their ps time, then perhaps it would be best to go ahead and finish Bigger before moving onto Preparing.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks, Lourdes.

What about extensions for my ds? Should I add them or just concentrate on "catching up" so we can move on to Preparing?
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Well, your son is now in the extension range-I would perhaps start out with continuing Bigger as is, and gradually add the extensions for him once you and the kids have got a good routine going, if it seems he really needs them. And resist the urge to move too quickly through the rest of the guide, as this will only make the days unnecessarily stressful-just take it a day at a time :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm

I just wanted to add that many people start their academic year in January. If it were me, I would finish Bigger, and then do Preparing as written. We are doing Preparing now, 4 days a week and I LOVE having the "extra" day in our schedule.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 am

Thanks, ladies! True wisdom here. I will have to honestly say I have been tempted to rush through Bigger to get to Preparing and to do Preparing 5 days a week when we get there so that we can get back on a "normal" schedule. :oops: Thanks for reminding me to just take one day at a time and enjoy it! :D

I know that these days with my children at home are short!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Such sage advice here already! I am so happy for you that you are going to be able to homeschool again! :D We have had one of our dc on a January to December guide a year schedule, with a summer break in the middle, and we have enjoyed it. :D I would not rush, cram, or double up - it is time to smell the roses my dear! Just pick up Bigger Hearts and take it one day at a time - enjoy. These years are precious and really do fly by. There is no need to fast forward and stress yourself or your kiddos - just have fun with it. :) Those memories will be the most special, and so much more important than any time you'd 'gain' by pushing hard. Just my 2 cents, but I cannot wait for you to be back to homeschooling again! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks, Julie!! :D Reminding myself everyday to just take one day at a time, no matter where we are in the guide!! :)
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG