New User - Curriculum guidance

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mellamom

New User - Curriculum guidance

Post by mellamom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am

Hi. I have been homeschooling my oldest daughter from Kindergarten on. She will be eleven next month. We started with Alpha and Omega Horizons and still use them in Math. We use Abeka LA and have used Apologia science the last two years. (Just trying to give background :) She does well with both Math and Language. She enjoys reading the American girl series if that helps you see the level she is on. I consider her to be going into 5th grade as I did K in two years I have looked at the placement charts and read countless post. I still don't know what level to start with. I have looked at both PHFHG and CTC. I like them both. I think she could handle either one,but this style of learning is new for us. We have not done dictation and narration before. She does write cursive, but has not mastered it. We will be continuing with Horizons Math and Abeka Language. Does anyone have advice on which level I should start with. I also have a five year old who will be starting K this year. I don't plan to combine them as there is a five year age gap. We are excited to have discovered HOD. I believe this is exactly what I have been looking for to make learning come alive and keep God central. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

mellamom

Re: New User - Curriculum guidance

Post by mellamom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:41 pm

After reading throught the archived post on Preparing, I am thinking I should probably start with PHFHG rather than CTC. Dictation and narration will be new for us and it seems like Preparing would be a good place for us to begin . I think it just bugged me to start her below the recommended age. I probably am too concerned with the age ranges. So I am thinking we will do PHFHG with extensions and our current Math and Language. Does this sound like a good plan?

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm

You said she's just turning 11 and you guys have never done a charlotte mason type curriculum. I think Preparing will be perfect :) You can use extensions, but I wouldn't even say you would necessarily have to.

Preparing is an awesome program and if you've never done this type of thing before it's a great place to start. It really will train her (and you) well on how to do everything expected of her :)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

As an encouragement to you.. . . we, too, came from similar curriculum to HOD! My son began HOD in fifth grade. He placed in CTC, however with it being a whole new style of learning, we ended up backing up to Preparing about three weeks in. It was a perfect fit for him! :D He just soared that year and had a lot of fun with it. Preparing gave him such a good grounding in Charlotte Mason style learning, and in God's Word! He developed a real love of learning and for books! Since then he's finished Preparing, CTC, and has now started RTR! :D

I, too, felt like it was a "step down" from where I wanted him to be, but it was really the best place for him to begin! God really blessed that decision and I'm so glad we did it that way! So, please don't feel bad about your choice, it's a good one! You're going to have such a great year with Preparing! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

mellamom

Post by mellamom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Thank you both for your encouragement. I was really going back and forth, but I am going to do Preparing. It really helped to hear that your son also placed in CTC and Preparing was a better fit. I am really excited about HOD. I am sure I will have lots of questions. I am thankful this board is here. Do I need the deluxe pkg as well as economy, science, and basic to get started? I know it was mentioned that I may not need to start with the extensions. Thanks!!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:26 am

So glad to hear that you have peace with your decision! It helps so much to be excited about the plans you've made! It makes for a much better and fun year! :wink:

For ordering you'd need: the economy package, the science package, the basic package (read-aloud pack), and the deluxe package. You may want to order the Lead Me To The Rock CD as it goes so nicely with the scripture memory within the plans, and is a fun addition to your child's day. You would also need to have a math choice (your own or HOD recommendations), an english/grammar set (R&S English or your own choice), a reading program (DITHOR or your own choice), and possibly the extension package.

Our son did end up doing the extension set, but only after he did the program for a month and I decided that it would be a good plan for him. He was finishing the work each day no problem, and he could handle the extra reading. There are suggestions for activities to do with the extensions, however, we just had him read the assigned reading each day from the extension books in addition to the regular assigned work in the guide, as written. This was our plan for our son, but it may not be the route you want to take with your child. You'll know best what to do! :wink:

I hope this helps some. Blessings on your year! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:37 am

Welcome! :D Coming in late in the conversation but just wanted to encourage you that Preparing seems like the best place to start for you. I am finishing up my second round of Preparing. I have done it with a young third grader and fifth graders. You are going to find there is plenty there for an older child. It is a great place to start because not only is it the platform for the cycles of history to come, it is kind of the platform for skills to come in the following guides. I think you made a wise choice. You do not want to miss Preparing. It is such a great program and so unlike what is out there with other publishers in being an overview of all the eras.

So welcome and congrats, You are going to love HOD! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:37 am

I just wanted to welcome you here too - aren't these ladies great?!? :D We too are on our second time around with PHFHG with our second ds, and what a wonderful way PHFHG is to school! LOVE IT - can't wait for you to start and share the journey with us here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mellamom

Post by mellamom » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Thank you all for your encouraging words!! I am excited about this in a way that only a homeschooling mom could understand. :) My daughter that will be in Preparing has actually asked if we can start school as soon as the books arrive. I am so thankful for this board. I have been reading as much as can. Julie, I have been checking out your blog. You have great ideas!
Looking forward to a great year!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm

mellamom wrote:...Julie, I have been checking out your blog. You have great ideas!...
Thanks so much! I am embarrassed not to have kept up on it, but it does my heart good to know that it may still be of some help to someone! :D Enjoy your year with PHFHG - such fun ahead of you! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie