Handwriting and Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
KristinBeth

Handwriting and Beyond?

Post by KristinBeth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 am

My daughter will be 6 in September and is ready for Beyond (having completed LHTH and LHFHG) in the fall. The one thing I don't think she's ready for is the copywork - she needs more handwriting instruction to help her remember how to form letters. So if I continue with the next level of handwriting instruction, do I just skip the copywork in Beyond, or go back and do it later? Has anyone done ARFH A or HWT with Beyond? Did you skip the copywork altogether?
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com

psreit

Re: Handwriting and Beyond?

Post by psreit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:55 am

I had my daughter do the copywork in Beyond, but I think going to the next level of handwriting instruction will be sufficient. We are doing Bigger this year and there is the option of cursive instruction or copywork. We will be doing cursive and not the copywork. So, whatever you feel your daughter needs is the way to go. HOD allows for adjustments that way. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 am

I did both. I used the next book in A Reason for Handwriting Series because it has very short writing practice for each day. I also had her copy a few lines (2-3) each to get her used to copywork. Some weeks we skipped that if we got busy, but I do feel like there is benefit to copywork. My daughter was also a young 6 when we began Beyond last year.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:19 pm

When I did Beyond, I did it with two children. My daughter was the younger of the two, at age 6. She was a lot like you're describing your daughter to be. I used ARFH book A, and then also had her do the copywork. I expected less from her, than from the older child. I only had her do probably one line of the poem, but it had to to be done the best she could do. Usually I would have her stop wherever she was at when my son finished his copywork from the poem. Sometimes she only completed a few words, but it was something she worked hard at and did her best on. That got better throughout the year. It's much more important to emphasize good work, than a lot of it. Just keeping the steady forward motion of good quality work will do wonders for her! :wink:

Blessings on your school year! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Rhyah

Post by Rhyah » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:22 pm

We did ARFH A last year and skipped the copywork altogether. This year we are doing ARFH T because her print is beautiful now and she doesn't need B and is ready for cursive instruction, but we will also be doing all of the copywork this year. I plan on having her do the copywork in print until she begins cursive instruction, and then I'll have her practice her cursive with some of the copywork but not all of it. I tweak as I go though, so who knows what might change.