A Reminder to Always...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmomof4

A Reminder to Always...

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Read the Introduction and Appendix to your HOD guide before getting started, and refer to it as often as needed. I remember years ago when I used Bigger for my girls, I was doing stuff wrong because I failed to do that :oops: For example, in Bigger, you are to have your child do a Cursive program OR poetry copywork in print for handwriting practice-I was having them do both :shock: Also, I was not doing studied dictation correctly-there are explicit directions in the appendix. Same goes for Extensions. Your HOD guide is your friend, new and old HODies alike :D The same applies to the DITHOR manual and "Getting Started" pages found in it :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Candice

Re: A Reminder to Always...

Post by Candice » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Excellent advice :!:

I just recently discovered the same about the copywork and cursive in Bigger, I too thought it was both :lol:

Candice

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Lourdes,
Such timely wisdom! :D Thanks for reminding me of an IMPORTANT thing to do to prepare for the coming year. So excited to be starting Rev to Rev in a few short weeks!! :)
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I think I read my appendix every day and then more again when I'm planning for the following week! I'm definitely going to it more with Bigger because so much is new there.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Really? I made my girl do both in Bigger last year. And I did read the Introduction / Appendix. I messed that one up...
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm

netpea wrote:Really? I made my girl do both in Bigger last year. And I did read the Introduction / Appendix. I messed that one up...
We did, too...and I read the intro. I'm thinking that it says that the copywork is optional if the child is doing cursive. We added it in at about unit 10, and it was a good thing. But, I took the advice of ladies here and we didn't always finish the entire poem. :shock: Never would have thought that was an option...I was much more of an all-or-nothing gal back in the day... :roll:

Thanks for the reminder, Lourdes. :D Intro reading is on my list in the very near future...along with schedule making and school supply shopping. :D Fun times!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 am

Yeah, the Copywork is for those not ready for cursive. What I think was really golden to discover is that Copywork should be limited to 5-10 minutes. That should be bolded and high lighted somewhere. :D I don't think DS takes longer than that but I hadn't thought to look at the clock and I know that is a source of frustration commonly, for parent and child alike.
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Lourdes, I'm so glad you posted this! :D This is such a great reminder to all of us, to go back and refresh our memories, or for new HOD users to really learn how each guide works! :wink:

This is our third year of HOD, and our first year where I'm repeating a guide with my next child in line. It's so nice to go back and re-read the introduction and appendix, so I can be totally ready to begin the year.

Thanks, again! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Just reminding myself, too :D We don't need to reinvent the wheel, when Carrie has done such a stellar job of putting it all together :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12