Still not settled 100% (LHFHG vs. Beyond)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AboveRubiesMama

Still not settled 100% (LHFHG vs. Beyond)

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm

I had a lovely chat with Mike today--both he and Carrie are super great folks. The funny thing is that I've already asked this question before, but totally forgot! LOL Well, I did mention to him that my days are crazy. LOL

After our chat, it was suggested that I use Beyond with my 1st grader (she will be 7 Sept. 2nd, so she *just* missed our state's cut-off) and my rising 3rd grader (who is autistic/dyslexic) while using CtC for my rising 5th grader (strong reader/strong in math, etc.)

But when I took a look at some past posts, our experiences before, and even re-examining the placement chart, I'm now wondering if I should actually place my rising 1st and 3rd graders into LHFHG, with my 1st grader using the 1st grade options--we'd planned to use CLP's science anyway!). I figure he can either join in the 2nd grade science or continue on with CLP's 3rd grade science, as we'd planned--although his reading skills are nowhere near 3rd grade level. (His last test scores showed 1.6).

I explained to him that my 1st grader can "draw" letters, and even copy some sentences, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I need to hang back a bit and make sure these skills really are in place.

Goodness knows I've jumped the gun before and regretted it. Actually this is kind of what's happened--we used a different program before which catered to the oldest child, bringing the youngers in, and we saw virtually no improvement or growth in our son's reading/writing skills over an entire year. This is part of the reason why we're returning to HOD--to have more developmentally appropriate activities.

But if we hang back in LHFHG, where does that leave him when he enters 4th grade? Since my 3rd child is turning 7 as she enters 1st grade, should I push forward with Beyond, trusting she will catch on quickly? For example, I'd considered using the 2nd grade CLP Science for both?

I'm sure I'm thinking way too much about this, but I've pushed them before, just to stay on "grade level," and regretted it. OTOH, there have been times when I didn't nudge one enough, and that led to boredom. :oops:
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

Kathleen

Re: Still not settled 100% (LHFHG vs. Beyond)

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi! :D In reading your post, I'm thinking that Beyond sounds like a great option for your 1st & 3rd graders. I think that if you are sure that your 7 year old needs LHFHG, you may want to consider splitting the pair up. But, from what you shared here, I don't think that you necessarily need to drop down to that guide. You will be able to do phonics instruction that's appropriate for each child (as that's not tied to the guide). You can use a phoncs program or the emerging readers or Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. If you think that your younger one needs some handwriting instruction, I'd just do that (with one of the books reccommended with LHFHG) and shorten the amount of copywork that child does of the poetry.
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 am

Kathleen wrote:Hi! :D In reading your post, I'm thinking that Beyond sounds like a great option for your 1st & 3rd graders. I think that if you are sure that your 7 year old needs LHFHG, you may want to consider splitting the pair up. But, from what you shared here, I don't think that you necessarily need to drop down to that guide. You will be able to do phonics instruction that's appropriate for each child (as that's not tied to the guide). You can use a phoncs program or the emerging readers or Drawn Into the Heart of Reading. If you think that your younger one needs some handwriting instruction, I'd just do that (with one of the books reccommended with LHFHG) and shorten the amount of copywork that child does of the poetry.

I agree :D
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 am

I agree with the pp's, Beyond looks like a good fit.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:54 am

I agree too! I did the same thing when I had a 3rd grader with some learning struggles and a 1st grader. :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm

My 6 and 7/8 year olds are doing Beyond this year, so I vote for Beyond too!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

AboveRubiesMama

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Thanks for the input! After reviewing the two programs again, I do believe they will both fit perfectly in Beyond. I appreciate the help from everyone. :)
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10