Getting Ready for CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gotpeace91

Getting Ready for CTC

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:32 pm

We start school July 30, and I have been busy gathering materials and making sure everything is ready. I thought I would post some pics of what I'm doing to get ready for CTC. This is just one way of organizing for CTC. :D

Put tabs in the teacher's manual for Poetry and Narration tips. I would put one for dictation as well, but the level she is on fell out of the Preparing manual and she actually prefers to have it separate like that:

Put Student notebook pages in a 1 1/2 inch 3-ring binder:

Get a 3 subject notebook that is divided for Math, English, and Spelling:

Bought a sketchbook for her Nature Journal, and a lined journal for her Common Place Book:

Image Image

Printed out the maps and 16 of the travel log sheets from the Geography CD onto cardstock. This binder also has some blank cardstock tucked in the pocket for her Genesis projects. When she has completed them she will hole-punch them and put them in the binder with a tab to divide Geography and Genesis:

Image Image Image

My kids prefer to create their writing compositions on the computer so I have tucked some cardstock in the pocket of the Write with the Best Binder. When she has completed her writing assignment she will hole-punch it and put it right in the WWTB binder:

Image Image

I created a cover page for her Science binder and printed out 35 Lab form sheets, Question sheets, and Notebooking pages on cardstock, and put them in the binder. I also printed off the pages about Classification as directed on Unit 1 Day 1 and tucked them in the pocket of the binder:

Image Image Image Image

Hope this helps somebody. If anybody else wants to post pics of how they get ready for CTC that would be great. I love how we can get wonderful ideas from each other on this forum! :D

ETA: I forgot to mention that we haven't bought the paint supplies for CTC yet, but here is a great link about that: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5608&p=68843#p68843

Also here is a link about estimated CTC time allotments:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3765
Last edited by gotpeace91 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

my3sons

Re: Getting Ready for CTC

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Leah - Thanks so much for doing this! I am getting ready for CTC after we finish out PHFHG with Riley, and you can bet I'll be coming back to your helpful post here!!! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:40 pm

You're very welcome, Julie! You've been such a great help to me that I'll be so glad if I can be of any help to you! :D
~Leah

Larissa

Post by Larissa » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

This is really helpful! I am slowly getting ready for CTC as well.
Larissa
Wife to Rich (14 years)
Mommy to Martin(9)(Preparing), Aaron(7)(Beyond), Jonathan(5), and Rosalie(3)

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Good suggestions!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

beverett

Post by beverett » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Leah, this is so helpful! Thank you... I am getting ready for CTC over the next week or two and have been referencing your post :D ! Thank you for taking the time to put this up for all of us! I also love your posts for "getting ready for" each of the guides... it will be so easy to find now in the future (and I bookmarked them as well)! Super helpful :D :D

I wanted to add that for poetry we bought scrapbooks from Walmart to store their watercolor paintings they will do each week.

Then I had a couple of questions. If I am doing CTC with 2 students, and was wandering if I should get 2 copies of the Genesis book? It seems like I remember my older son writing in it. Any idea? Also, does anyone have suggestions for the nature journal? It is listed as optional. The introduction says you may buy one or make 3 seperate books on your own (I am sure that Carrie gives the kiddos instructions). I am thinking I would like to buy one...So just checking to see if anyone wants to share what they are using?

OOps.. I looked back and noticed Leah is using a sketchbook! :lol: Good idea!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

aprilmd

Post by aprilmd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Leah,
Thank you! Next week I will be getting ready for CTC. Your list is going to help so much.
April
April - BHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WG & now WORLD HIST
2014-2015
DD 16- World Hist, Chemistry, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 15- World Hist, Bio, R&S Eng. 7, Saxon Adv Math
DD 13- MTMM/ext, finish R&S Eng. 6, Saxon Alg 1

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 am

We are starting CTC the end of August with my children. Thanks for posting! I also got our notebooks and various items ready for the kids. I am so excited! I had so much fun buying the supplies for painting to go along with poetry. I guess I need to read some more in the intro to the guide, I did not see a nature notebook.
It will be fun to keep up with others doing CTC. It looks so good, I am excited to learn the history right along with the kids. :D
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

Larissa,Tricia,Brandi, April, and Kirsten; Thanks so much for your kind words. You're welcome! I'm so glad I could help!

Brandi,
I just flipped through the Genesis book that I used with my son and I don't see any writing in it. I think the assignments that involve writing are done on separate paper.

~Leah :D
~Leah

beverett

Post by beverett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 am

Leah,

Thank you so much!! I looked back at ours and on the first lesson there was writing :shock: soooo I had to try and remember back! I am thinking we must have started to write in it and then decided to mark in our actual Bible for the lesson instead? Anyway, thank you very much for checking and letting me know!!! :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

3ringcircus

Post by 3ringcircus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm bumping this since I can't figure out how to bookmark it :oops: .
KL - Rev2Rev, DITHOR
E - PHFHG, DITHOR
MG - BHFHG
L - making messes and smiles

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

This is a great post which is so helpful to those starting CTC. :D

If you want to bookmark a topic just scroll to the bottom of the page of the topic. You'll see a blue area at the bottom of the page that says board index, subscribe topic, bookmark topic. Just click on the bookmark topic area and this topic will be in your bookmarks. When you want to find it later just click on the area in the upper left of your window that says User Control Panel. That will take you to a screen that has manage your bookmarks in a menu on the left side. When you click on that you can see all of your bookmarks. HTH! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

caealday

Post by caealday » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm using this post to help get ready for my daughter's first year of HOD. I had a couple questions. For the science notebook, where did you get the question sheets and notebooking pages? Or are those something you created on your own?

Also, I noticed it's been quite a few years since this original post. Is there anything that you think should be updated or revised? Thanks!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 am

I'm not the one who posted these pictures, but I pm'd you with a couple ideas. :D
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:27 pm

I think I have figured out the science organization. I have also read and started to get things for the art/poetry study. And language arts will be vary similar to what we already have (and will continue to use) from Preparing. So now I need to figure out the "rest."

I see we will need some travel logs for geography and blank pages for Genesis: Finding Roots. Does anyone know how many we need for each?
And is there anything else that I need to have in binders/ready except the preprinted notebooking pages for history?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)