REV to REV Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jkhamell

REV to REV Science

Post by jkhamell » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:02 pm

I will be using Rev to Rev with my 6th grader and 8th grader. Before I decided on HOD - I signed them up for science at our co-op. The 6th grader will be studying Apologia Exploring Astronomy and the 8th grader will be doing Apologia General Science. I don't think either course will be challenging for either. They are both super excited about the science unit in Rev to Rev. This kit is one we have been drooling over for awhile and now it is scheduled so nicely. What do you all think?? Could we do both? Co-op science and Rev. to Rev. science?? I was thinking I could do Rev. to Rev. science with some flexibility depending on workload from Co-op. I don't have syllabus yet so I don't know how much homework.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Also a reminder of time expected to be spent on Science box and Inventor study would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim
Kim
Starting HOD for the first time 9/2012
dd 13: Rev to Rev
dd 11: Rev to Rev
dd 9: Preparing
dd 7: Beyond
dd 3: Little Hands January 2013

blessedmomof4

Re: REV to REV Science

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:34 pm

If you are using the intermediate kit for both, they will have EE science 3 days a week (along with the inventor study 4 days), so you could do the co-op on the the 5th day if you wanted. If the 8th grader is using the advanced kit, know that he will have EE science scheduled 5 days a week, and the day 5 lessons can be lengthy, so that would have to weigh into your decision. HTH!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

jkhamell

Post by jkhamell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks. I wish I hadnt paid for co op. wwe havee to sign up in march. I wanted to take some planning off my plate. Then I found Hod. Problem solved. Thanks again
Kim
Starting HOD for the first time 9/2012
dd 13: Rev to Rev
dd 11: Rev to Rev
dd 9: Preparing
dd 7: Beyond
dd 3: Little Hands January 2013

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Kim! :D

We're getting ready for Rev2Rev here, too. :D I think it looks like it will be a fantastic year! I know the science will be a hit with Grant...he will LOVE the inventing and hands-on aspect of EE! Sounds like your guys will, too. Here are the box times that either Carrie or Julie shared last year. (I saved them on our computer, so I wouldn't have to hunt them down this year. :wink: )

Rev to Rev Times

Left Side of Plans - Learning Through History
Reading about History: 25 min.
*Note: This may be longer on the written narration day, though this will balance out as there is no history project on the written narration day.
Storytime: 15-20 min.
History Project: 20 min.
Rotating box (Geography, Worthy Words, Timeline, Poetry): 10-20 min. (depending on length of poem and length of primary source document)
State Study: 20 min. (3 x a week)
*Note: One day will be shorter when there is no state study.
Independent History Study: 10-15 min. (longer on "Draw and Write" days)
2 hours (using the longest times)

Right Side of Plans - Learning the Basics
Bible Quiet Time: 15 min.
Music Appreciation: 20 min. (2 x a week)
Biblical Worldview: 20 min. (2 x a week)
Math: 30 min.
*Note: Add 15 min. more if doing "Discovering Mathematics".
Language Arts Box:
Dictation: 5 min. (3 x a week)
DITHOR: 35 min. (3 x a week)
Creative Writing: 25-35 min. (1 x a week)
R & S English: 20 min. (4 x a week)
Science Exploration: 25 min.
Inventor Study: 15-20 min.
2 hours, 50 min. (using the longest times)

So, it looks like 40-45 minutes for 3 days per week...and then 15-20 on the other. Will you be at your co-op meeting on your "5th day" of the week? If not, you could definitely plan some extra time for out of class work then, and on the non-EE day. Happy Planning!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH