How many genres per year for DITHR?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gratitude

How many genres per year for DITHR?

Post by gratitude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 am

HI!

We are starting HOD, Preparing, and DITHR this fall. I have loved looking over all the materials that came.

I am starting to read a few things about setting up DITHR for fall. It sounds like I may want to wait a few months to start DITHR. It also sounds like people prepare for the genres they will be doing for the year.

How many genres would I cover in a year of Preparing? Any tips for organizing it and the DITHR books ahead of time? I saw pictures of taking out the student pages for the year; how many would I take out for a year of Preparing? I am feeling a little less sure about how to do DITHR, but love what I read about Biblical discernment in the program. When should I think about trying to start it?

Thank you!

my3sons

Re: How many genres per year for DITHR?

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 am

DITHOR is planned 3 days a week in PHFHG, so you'd typically get through around 4-5 genres. :D I took pics of getting ready for RevtoRev last year, and there is a portion on getting ready for DITHOR that may be helpful if you are visual kind of a gal like I am! :D Just scroll down to the DITHOR part...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10291&p=74880

I've never removed any pages from any Student Books - not sure about that one. We just use the Student Book over 2 years. It makes it easy to see which genres we've finished, and which ones we need to do the following year. It also shows progress nicely! :D (hopefully, at least, right?!? :lol: )

If you are a little concerned about doing DITHOR, I'd do 1 genre this summer. We did that so many years back when we started, and it was a blast! I went all out for the kickoff. We have great memories of burying some 'treasure' in the garden for a kickoff! However, you can just pick it up and start it later in the year in PHFHG too - just an idea. The 'Getting Started' section in the Appendix of the DITHOR TG walks you through getting started so nicely, so be sure to check that out. We've enjoyed DITHOR for so many years here - I think you will too! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Thank you Julie! Your information was extremely helpful! :D I am really looking forward to starting! :D :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

When we were 1st starting DITHOR, I let my son pick out which book he wanted to start with. He loved that! :D I had purchased the 2/3 book pack to use, so I set them all out on the table and we went with the one he picked. Now that we've been doing DITHOR for a while, we make sure to get in all 9 genres every 2 years. So, I know which genres we're going to be covering, but I'll still often let Grant pick which one he'd like to start with. :wink:

Enjoy!! We have loved DITHOR here! (And we started it up right with HOD 5 years ago...I didn't find it difficult to dive into right with the other guides.)
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH