A Surprise Perk!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krazzymommy

A Surprise Perk!

Post by krazzymommy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm

My son is doing Bigger and my daughter is doing Little Hearts this year. Last year, when we did Beyond, I kind of :oops: ignored the suggestions for gross motor skills, the ones recommended when you study the Bible verses and such? My kids are extremely uncoordinated (must be a product of me! :wink: ) and so I just decided not to do that stuff. Fast forward to this year, and I have been trying the recommendations and my kids are LOVING that part. I will say, when we did jumping jacks, my son was near tears (that was what cemented to me that I did need to be doing that stuff!) but later that evening, I had two jumping jack kids bouncing around showing daddy what they had learned. They love tossing balls, stuffed animals, skipping, jumping, all of these things! I am so bummed to have missed out on all that last year, but glad that we have an entire year to better our gross motor skills this year! Thanks, HOD!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

blessedmomof4

Re: A Surprise Perk!

Post by blessedmomof4 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:12 pm

I just love how every single thing Carrie writes into her guides serves a purpose-there is no wasted time and no busywork :D It's always great to hear how HOD is blessing other families!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Ooooooh...

Hmm.

I was gonna skip them too. I am the type that can sit still and read for hours. I also do not remember words to songs very well (without accompaning music).

But I will give it a go! My son just learned jumping jacks tonight too. Cute. I think we adults forget that these movements aren't easy stuff for lil' tinsie peoples. :)

We are day 2 into little hands for his glory... so haven't. Gotten into the groove yet.

Just stuck a bookmark into the appendix for "God's creation" rhyme. It does look cute. Maybe I can make a copy and stick it to a big mirror, so I can read it and see what he's doing behind me? LOL
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Yes, those little extras are so great for our children. I have seen such growth in that area with them. When we started Beyond my son could hardly do two sit ups. Now that we are in Bigger he can do 3 sets of 10 and he was upset that I suggested he could just do 5 for the 2nd two rounds if 10 was too much :oops: It is worth the extra time.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Don't feel bad... we didn't do them at the beginning of our HOD journey either. :oops:
By the time we got into the Beyond guide I tried them and realized just how much the children enjoy them and they add so much to the learning experience and don't take much time to do!
Now I join them with the jumping jacks and push ups! It's great fun!
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!