My catalog arrived!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommasell

My catalog arrived!

Post by mommasell » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I went to the mail today, and my HOD catalog was sitting there! I've, of course, already poured over the pages.

I'm left with a question for you all. As your children get older, and they have 4 days scheduled instead of 5, what does your family do for the 5th day? Extra activities, co-ops, or do you spread the 4 days out over 5? Just curious how it works in various homes.

I think dh and I have finally made the decision that LHFHG is the way we're going next year. I'm looking forward to it (and I really wish we would have found this before we already started a different PreK program!)

raceNzanesmom

Re: My catalog arrived!

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 pm

We'll be using Bigger this year, but plan to go to a 4 day week. We get a LOT done on our school days and I felt we were missing out on some of the more fun/together aspects of being home together. That's what Fridays will be used for- games, field trips, extra read alouds, lapbooking, catch-up, time together, etc. It'll take a bit longer to get through the guide, but I'm ok with that.

ETA: We miss some of the fun normal evening family time because I have day care kids 2nd shift. Taking Friday mostly off from "school" will give us a chance to do some of those things.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

Leslie in TN

Post by Leslie in TN » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

We like to keep one day for "Fun Friday" stuff too.. Also, as the guides go higher and the demands increase, some students may benefit from being able to stretch the weeks' work onto a fifth day. In the past we have also saved the history project or watercolor painting for Friday as well. Come to think of it, there weren't too many weeks where we had "nothing to do" on the fifth day :D
Leslie in TN
Mama to Eva & Laura (16) and Samuel (14)

Currently using: World Geography with VideoText Algebra
Veterans of Rev2Rev, CTC, PHFHG and BLHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

How exciting that you will soon be beginning LHFHG! :D We are doing LHFHG for the third time with our third ds now, and it is a super way to spend our days learning together! :) I thought of this past link in regard to your question about the fifth day...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9095&p=66994

HTH, and we'll have to share our days in LHFHG together here! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie