Intentionally slower, more relaxed schedule pace?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Intentionally slower, more relaxed schedule pace?

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Do any of you do an intentionally slower pace to your day? I've found that I can get all of my teaching done in the morning if I'm very speedy. But I've also found that I'm less likely to have a sweet spirit with my children when I do that.

For the past few days, I've been experimenting with keeping our same flow/routine but allowing myself to go at a slower pace. This means that sometimes my Little Hearts time with my 5 year old is in the afternoon instead of the morning. Sometimes a few other things bleed over too.

I think, for me, this is working better. I'm such a type-A personality, that I tend to railroad over anything or anyone in my path if I'm not careful. And I don't want to do that to my children!!!

So, I guess I'm just curious if any of you have tried something similar.

I know that my attitude while I'm teaching my children is probably more important than the content of what I'm teaching them (though HOD is greatcontent and I'm so very thankful to have it!).

I think I also need to be prepared to be more flexible with a new baby coming soon.

Thanks for listening to my ramble.
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

lissiejo

Re: Intentionally slower, more relaxed schedule pace?

Post by lissiejo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm

I'm learning to follow the lead of my girls a big more. I still am in charge, but when I see their attention waning before a break it behooves us to take a break instead of plugging away. Sometimes there is a benefit to plowing through a difficult subject, but other times a break is best. This summer I've been working with my oldest during the other girls' nap time which has been a nice change for both of us. Less distractions that way :) I think you are wise to try some different routines with a new baby coming. It will help you feel more relaxed with unexpected changes in routine.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Very much agreeing with your line of thinking. Too much focus on "getting it done" or the schedule can (for some of us) suck the joy and opportunity of learning at home. And yes, the attitude that we are teaching with is the primary teacher. We can have great content and excellent materials that can be totally eclipsed if our attitude isn't what it should be (I'm guilty!)

I say do whatever YOUR family needs to do to maintain a sweet, meek and quiet spirit in the home. Our warm, calm responsiveness to our children is the most important aspect in motherhood. I've found that my children aren't going to receive what I'm offering if I'm lacking in a sweet countenance (all b/c I'm too focused on our schedule, or for other reasons).

Hope this helps!!

By the way, we do exactly what you described. We have the exact same routine everyday, but we don't worry about time frame/pace. It has worked GREAT. The kids still know what to do everyday, but we don't have to feel rushed if we hit a snag or want to spend extra time on science or something. Go for it!

RecumbentHeart

Post by RecumbentHeart » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Yes. For the same reasons. I have also moved some of DS's work to quiet/nap time. It means less "break" for me but in the overall scheme of this new way of doing things, I "need" less break. For my own temperament I've had to let go of any independent plans to get things done during the day that I can't involve the children in (and if I can you know that means being willing to take three or more times longer than I could do it by myself) and to purpose to be with them in a sense that is more than just my body in the same house or room. It makes a huge difference for us all.
Alicia
DS10: CTC (beginning Sept.)
DD8: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS7: Bigger (beginning Aug.)
DS5: LHfHG

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 pm

That is exactly where I have evolved to over the last year or two. We get done what we get done. We finish up whatever we didn't get to the next day. Part of that is because my ds is severely dyslexic, so he needs more help and time. I love that we just enjoy school and work at a steady, comfortable pace.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:50 am

Thank you, Ladies! (Where's a hug smiley when you need one? :D )

It's encouraging to know that others are taking a slower pace. I know that when everything is going well, we are able to get most of our things done in the morning. But I don't want to start rushing all around and being less than sweet when there's a delay for some reason. I think this will help me in this area.

Here's a verse I want to remember throughout my days...

Isaiah 26:3
You keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.

Thanks again, Ladies! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am

We have a slower pace in the summer and love it. I think if it's possible to recreate that in the school year, that would be wonderful! I am working part time in the afternoons, and I have an older ds who is very motivated to have his afternoons free. "Motivated" would be the kind word here, I guess :wink: . He is actually quite adamant, ummmmmm, forceful? What is the word I am looking for here? :? Let's just say it's very important to him, so much so that it effects our relationship if I am not working with him to finish by 1 PM. Without these constraints, I think I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have an intentionally slower, more relaxed schedule pace! Thank you so very much for posting this, as it is so important to try to do what works best for our day to days in homeschooling. Having joy in our day is key! I think you sound like you have found a terrific fit for your homeschooling days, and I am so glad you have! Many, many others would enjoy this type of approach as well, and it's great to have it shared here so each can ponder what's best for their unique situation. Thanks for sharing, and here's to a fantastic year for you with this plan in place! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie