vocabulary index box vs. composition book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
coastalmom

vocabulary index box vs. composition book

Post by coastalmom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:34 pm

I am setting up my Preparing materials and trying to decide between my daughter using index cards or a tabbed composition book for her vocabulary words. I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation/if you prefer one over the other.
Blessings!
CS
CS

DD 11 RTR
DS 9 Preparing
DS 6 Beyond
DD 4
DS 1

lmercon

Re: vocabulary index box vs. composition book

Post by lmercon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:58 pm

I used both with my ds different years. We only changed it up for variety. Honestly, I didn't prefer one way over the other. If space is a huge deal, obviously the comp. book fits better in a bookshelf. The benefit to the index box is that you can truly alphabetize the words, but that's not a big deal.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:58 pm

I prefer the index box.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

We've always used the index card box, and I really like it. One thing that's nice about it is if they make a mistake, they can just start on a new index card. Also, I didn't have to think about how many pages to devote to each letter of the alphabet.

I'm sure the composition book would be fine, but that's what we do! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:50 pm

We used the index card binders. I really like them because they are all in one place like a common place book bunt you can take them out like an index card binder. Here is what they look like. http://www.amazon.com/OXFORD-POLY-INDEX ... ard+binder
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm

We liked the index cards as well. We also used an index card binder. I didn't want a half-used comp book sitting around, and this was just easier and more compact, plus it allowed for better alphabetizing and as a pp said, if they make a mistake they can just grab a new index card.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 pm

water2wine wrote:We used the index card binders. I really like them because they are all in one place like a common place book bunt you can take them out like an index card binder. Here is what they look like. http://www.amazon.com/OXFORD-POLY-INDEX ... ard+binder
This is what I bought to use with Bigger this year. I like that he can alphabetize them, start over on a new card if needed, and it's still small enough to not be a bother. I added ABC index cards- highly recommend buying pre-punched ones or cardboard ones. I made the plastic ones work, but boy was the palm of my hand sore from punching holes. :oops:
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

coastalmom

Post by coastalmom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think we will try the index card binder since we already are using several comp. books for other subjects, and I do like the idea of her being able to start a new card if she makes a mistake.
Blessings!
CS
CS

DD 11 RTR
DS 9 Preparing
DS 6 Beyond
DD 4
DS 1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:42 pm

coastalmom - Hi, and I just wanted to welcome you to the HOD board! :D We also used the index cards in a recipe box and enjoyed that. I am excited for you to begin PHFHG! We have about 5 units left of PHFHG with our middle ds, and it will be bittersweet to finish - exciting to finish, but sad to be done. :D However, having done PHFHG years back with my oldest and loving it and then moving on to CTC, I know we will make wonderful memories in CTC too. I hope you have a great year in PHFHG and look forward to getting to know you here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

coastalmom

Post by coastalmom » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Julie,
Thank you for your warm welcome. I met you at the FPEA convention and I am really looking forward to our first school year with HOD. This year my children will be using PHFHG , Beyond, LHTH, and we will have a sweet toddler in the midst of it! I am sure i will have many more questions as we begin our school year!
Blessings!
CS
CS

DD 11 RTR
DS 9 Preparing
DS 6 Beyond
DD 4
DS 1