Confused about what to use after Singapore 6B

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

Confused about what to use after Singapore 6B

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Ds 6th has just started Singapore 6A. Last June 2011 was his first time using Singapore and he started at 4B, doubling up here and there to get him caught up. We school year-round which made this possible. The HoD catalog says after 6B we have the choice of Discovering Math 1A/1B or 2A/2B, Videotext Algebra, or No-Nonsense Algebra. We're going the Discovering Math route, but I've also read in other threads that Carrie recommends Math Essentials before DM 1A (though I don't see that in the catalog). I am so confused as to what to do. Can someone please clarify the general math path here. I feel like I'm the only one who is not grasping this. :oops: I was soooo not a math person in school and honestly, my algebra class days are a blur. I just really want my kids on the right path, but I don't even understand what some of these levels are the equivalents of. One thread I read says Singapore 6A, 6B is the equivalent of Pre-alg; another I read says DM 1A is the equivalent of Pre-alg. What is Math Essentials the equivalent of? Gah! My head just exploded :shock:
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Kathleen

Re: Confused about what to use after Singapore 6B

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi Miranda! :D

I know that I can't totally clear up the math route for you...but I will tell you what I do know. :wink:

Discovering Mathematics 1A picks up where Singapore 6B leaves off. I don't think there is any reason to do anything in between 6B and DM 1A unless your student was really struggling with something and needs it. I think that Math Essentials has been mentioned as an optional program to help get a child who has some weak spots in their math learning "patch" those up before heading into high school stuff for math & science?

I know that the DM series will include some algrera and geometry mixed together throughout the books, so there's not just an "algebra" book....but you will cover it all throughout them. :wink:

I'm guessing that if you're not going with DM, you'll want to choose one of the other algebra options to begin after 6B.

How did the doubling up go? I know that I was wondering if I needed to do that with my oldest (who switched to Singapore in 3rd grade, but needed to do Singapore 2A). I had a chance to see the rest of Singapore's books and the DM series and talk with Julie, and there was no need to speed along. Grant will have the opportunity to do all the advanced math he'd like through high school, including algebra, geometry, trig, pre-calc, if we just stay moving along at the pace of a workbook per semester. So, he'll be using 6A & 6B for 7th grade this coming year. If he didn't get it all, you can feel free to back up a little and make sure it makes sense. That will probably be more important in the long run than having the level of the Singapore book match grade level.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Homeschooln2qts

Re: Confused about what to use after Singapore 6B

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Thank you so much, Kathleen!!! This explanation clears everything up! I really appreciate your taking the time to explain all of this to me. :D

Doubling up actually went quite well. I was reluctant to do it at first and was prepared to slow down at the first sign of frustration for him, but he has flown through it without any problem. He's a mathy kid anyway (like his Dad :wink:) but I also credit it to the Singapore way of learning. He now says he loves math (something he never said before using Singapore). It also takes an added amount of pressure off knowing that we can slow down if we need to and still not be behind. Thank you again for clarifying everything :D
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/