RightStart vs Math-U-See vs Singapore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MrsKnapp

RightStart vs Math-U-See vs Singapore

Post by MrsKnapp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Just curious about opinions on comparing the 3. I am not great at math but have a feeling my children will be since their Daddy is! I want to feel confident in my ability to teach it, and am pretty much sold on using Singapore. However, I was initially going between RightStart and Math U See before I found HoD. Should I still use one and supplement with Singapore? Or can Singapore be used as a stand alone math curriculum with the result being children who are very good at math?
Kelly, wife to Jeff
Blessed immeasurably more than all I could ask for or imagine!
Our choices for the 2014-2015 school year:
Jeffery (7) -- Bigger with R&S 2, DITHOR
John (6) -- Bigger with Emerging Readers
Katherine (3)
Margaret (6mos)

spidermansmum

Re: RightStart vs Math-U-See vs Singapore

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 am

I have one son who struggles with some math concepts.We used Singapore and MUS .We currently use Singapore but sometimes use the MUS blocks.

MUS requires mastery so you completely master one concept before moving to the next .I have mixed feelings about this.For instance if you have a child who struggles with rapid math fact recall[ 2+3=?] then you would stay practicing that with the drill sheets until they could.The problem is they can end up stuck ,and more repetition will not necessarily solve it.I LIKED the DVD's and Mr Demme has a wonderful way of explaining things.The blocks are awesome and we still use them.Organising the MUS lessons was hard[ = for me] Maybe not for anyone else. MUS it depends on mastery so long term planning doesnt really work.You can not simply calculate 200 worksheets and divide them between the year,because they could master one concept quickly and another one can take many,many drill sheets.
With Singapore the pages are set out and the extra activities designed by Carrie ,are all laid out in HOD .That takes away that planning and organising .It also mans that if one way of explaining doesnt work - then you have several more ways of getting that concept accross in different ways and situations.It is pretty much open and go.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:12 am

We love Singapore Math here! :D Math has always been a favorite subject of mine, and I LOVE the way it's taught with Singapore and Carrie's activities. You don't need anything else to make it complete. Singapore does a great job of teaching the kids to think mathematically. They really learn to understand how to solve real problems, rather than just complete a list of steps.
I also love how beautifully Carrie has planned the guides so that they're balanced with the work that needs to be completed each and every day. Your time is well-planned to be well-spent. :wink: Math is an important subject, but it is just one of the many improtant things that needs your attention every day. I love how it fits in the framework of the HOD day.
I'm enjoying reading your posts, as I can just hear the excitement of beginning your homeschool journey! :D And, I appreciate that you're coming for wisdom as you're getting started. I'd say to watch out for the trap that "if some is good, more is better". Being overzealous in trying to do too much won't end up with the desired effect for you and your kids. Because if you're saying yes to MORE math (even more "good" math), you're saying no to something. You might be saying no to time to pay attention to God's Word (because that focus was already used up), or reading, or time to enjoy siblings, or free time to pursue their own interests, or time outisde, etc. I say this because I was so prone to be that "if some is good, more is better" Mom. :roll: I have been so thankful for the wisdom I have gained from the ladies here as I've learned along the way on my homeschool journey - and my kids were saved from my overzealous thoughts before I put them into practice. :lol:
Truly, you have 3 good choices, and any of them could work great for you. I haven't used RightStart or Math-U-See, but I'm sure they're both good programs. We love Singapore, so I'd reccommend that! :D It would be easier if there were more crummy choices out there, huh?

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MrsKnapp

Post by MrsKnapp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Spidermansmum and Kathleen,
Thank you so much for your thoughts! I am excited about beginning this year but of course fall into the trap of not picking the right thing for my son, even though I know better! I just want to do the best I can and have to get it in my head that homeschooling is a little (or a lot?) of trial and error. I appreciate your cautions as well as your info about the math programs. Looking forward to getting to know you on here! :)
Kelly
Kelly, wife to Jeff
Blessed immeasurably more than all I could ask for or imagine!
Our choices for the 2014-2015 school year:
Jeffery (7) -- Bigger with R&S 2, DITHOR
John (6) -- Bigger with Emerging Readers
Katherine (3)
Margaret (6mos)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:23 pm

I have actually used all 3 of these. :shock:

I chose Saxon.

But, of the 3 you mentioned, I really like Rightstart.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:15 am

Math is a subject that has a finite body of information to be learned, and Singapore does this in a clear, systematic way that encourages mental math. IMO, strong mental math is the goal. It is something needed every day, in every walk of life. These are the top things I appreciate about Singapore...
1. it teaches the "why" behind the "how" of math; it doesn't just drill - it teaches how to "think" mathematically
2. it is strong on mental math
3. it teaches pictorially, which helps dc visualize the mathematic operations they are doing
4. it is strong on problem solving
5. it is short, has no prep, and is consistent
6. it has a strong track record of dc testing well on standardized testing

We really like Singapore, but like any math program, it takes a bit to get into it. I think Singapore deserves a year's try. It will seem different at first, but that's because of all of the above points I listed. If you're going to give Singapore a try for a month, you probably won't really get a good read on how it will go long-term. One last thing, I am a firm believer in the "less is more" theory when it comes to math problems (as well as with things like cursive handwriting, etc.). If a child can show you they fully understand the math concept in 10-15 problems, why would I make him do 50 problems and have him start to rush to get through all those problems and start to have the habit of carelessness? Math should not take forever to do. Singapore looks deceivingly simple - it is not. It is more than difficult enough, but it does not overkill a skill. The HOD activities up through Singapore 2B are awesome, and I believe a necessary part to do with Singapore at the younger ages (that should be more hands-on). However, there is a time to give up the hands-on part of math, IMO, and it has been a good time to give it up at 3A. Finally, we've never added anything to Singapore. Our dc are completely different learners and both thriving with Singapore. That's the bottom line of why I love Singapore!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie