Scheduling Help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

Scheduling Help

Post by Tracee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm gearing up for the new year and am very excited. I sat down to work out my schedule, but I'm struggling. This year, I will have a 3rd grader(finishing up Beyond and moving into Bigger) and two 1st graders in LHFHG. All three of my children have dyslexia, so I have to be very involved in everything that they are learning, sitting with them for every subject. I can't even leave them alone to work on handwriting, because they will start from the wrong side, start their letters at the bottom. I really have to be right there. My older son will be starting cursive, so I will have to be right there with him also.

How do I make this work for all three of them?They all really need their own time with me. I can do the left side of LHFHG with my twins together, but really need to do the right side of the guide one on one.

Would you just rotate all 3 of them through each subject? What should the others two be doing? I had it figured out last year, but this year seems a little more intense.

Last year, I started with the left side of the guide and then took a break and then moved to the right side of the guide. This year, I want to start with the right side of the guide first. Which side of the guide do you do first and why?

I would love to hear advice or even links to other schedules.

Thanks,
Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

Tracee

UPDATE - Scheduling Help...Too much Free Time?

Post by Tracee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:36 am

I worked on our schedule and was wondering if you think I have too much free time included. My kids are 6, 6 and 8. Our school day ends at about 2:30 by then, all the kids in the neighborhood will be home and they usually go out and play with them. Thanks!

DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

Kathleen

Re: Scheduling Help

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Are Brayden & Bryce doing the same thing for math? If so, I would maybe do their math lesson together and sit in between them while they work on it. :D (Unless that makes you crazy and you would prefer to just have one at a time... :wink: )
I also think you need more than 30 minutes for LHFHG left side and storytime. We usually move right through it at our house, too. But by the time you do the rhyme, Bible/history reading, Bible verse, song, follow-up activity to history, storytime reading, and follow-up for that...I think 45 minutes was closer to what we needed.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Tracee

Post by Tracee » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Kathleen. Yes, I could do Brayden and Bryce together, but it does make me crazy. :D LOL. I realized I have cursive and copywork in their. I will only be doing one or the other, so I think I'll take that time slot and add it to LHFHG. Thanks!

Tracy
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Tracy - your schedule looks so neat and organized! :D Good planning! Kathleen gave some great advice already. I'll just add that if you are wanting to finish a tad sooner, you could read one of the Storytimes at breakfast or lunch. Matter of fact, you could read one at breakfast, and the other at lunch if you wanted. :D You could then do the short Storytime follow-ups with the intended child (dc) afterward. I also think you will find that your day gets shorter and shorter as you stick to the routine of it. For us, usually after about a month, time starts falling off the schedule. :D HTH, and good job of planning for your year so well!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie