wow-had a grand new idea!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sherry80

wow-had a grand new idea!

Post by sherry80 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 pm

As you have seen, I have been trying to work starting 3 guides and Dithor with our large family. I have changed up my plans! I am hoping that this isn't a terrible idea......but here goes.
My oldest 2 will be starting Bigger with extensions and dithor (they are at the older end the range for this guide)
I was going to start Little Hearts but have decided to wait for 2 years. I know my oldest son will be a little out of the range but I will beef it up for him (he will be eight years old) We will continue with his phonics and math programs and handwriting, and I will add in the thinking skills workbook for this year. He will join in on devotionals and bible readings. He is an active boy and I think this is enough for him anyways.
Basically if I wait 2 years to start it, I will have a 3rd grader, 1st grader and one in K. Then I can combine all 3!!!!!! The oldest one will work through the guides with them either beefed up or use extensions when those come. The other 2 will fit in perfect with the age group.
I feel such a relief with this decision. I have never really pushed science or history until around 3rd grade anyways and I can add what I need to for him. We are a little slower here at learning to read as my bio kids have speech delays until about 3rd grade. So it gives us a chance to focus on phonics and math skills.
I am so excited!!!!!!
I know its doable to do 3 guides but the ages of our children are: 10,9,6,4,3,1,1 so we have 2 babies one month apart in age moving around! Our 4yo is adopted and has some attachment issues. We are still adjusting to the addition of the 2 from adoption, even thoug they have been home 7months! So this will help me keep my family in order while learning with HOD, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE and I think the kids will too!
I appreciate everyones help, this idea had never occured to me.
Sherry
Last edited by sherry80 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mamayi

Re: wow-had a grand new idea!

Post by mamayi » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 pm

That sounds like an extremely workable plan! That's the wonderful thing about homeschooling (and doing it with HOD) is that you can arrange and adjust things to fit your family's particular needs!
Praying that you will have a successful year!
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

6timeboymom

Re: wow-had a grand new idea!

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 pm

that sounds wonderful!
FWIW, we've always done the guides a bit on the younger end, too. For instance, my 13 year old will be doing creation to Christ with the extensions, and the 12 year old is doing preparing without the extensions. We are pretty relaxed around here, too, so we do a lot of unschool-ish (I think I just made up a word :lol:) things along the way, too.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: