Rev to Rev Science question/substitution question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

Rev to Rev Science question/substitution question

Post by snadig » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello HOD friends.

I am getting ready to place my order, but had some questions. I see you can do substitution for books, but I was thinking based off the number of books I have, it would be best to just order everything seperate. Would this be the best way?

Rev2Rev scienc. If I order The Advanced Curriculum kit, would I order the Exploration Education Curriculum too, or are they seperate curriculums?

One last question. I am understandig that you don't do Emerging readers with DITHOR. Is this correct? I am using Beyond for my son (age 7). He is reading well, and I don't think I will finish the Horizon phonics he was doing for 1st grade, because he will cover most of the phonics rules in All About spelling. So I was thinking of starting with the Emerging readers(we have most of these) and then half way switch over to DITHOR. Does this make sense?

Well that is all for now. Thanks for any help. I am excited to get everything ordered :D . We are new to HOD, but I am looking forward to the adventure. We will be using Beyond(son 7), Preparing( daughter 11), and Rev2Rev(daughter13).

Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

basesloaded

Re: Rev to Rev Science question/substitution question

Post by basesloaded » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Stacey :D !

I do not have answers but would like to see what answers you do get. I also just had to say how fun it was to see that you have a 13 year old, an 11 year old and a 7 year old because I will have the same this fall. Mine are all boys :o and my 2 oldest will be in Rev to Rev together and my youngest in Beyond. We are looking forward to a great year with HOD, too! You are gonna LOVE HOD :D !
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:45 pm

snadig wrote:I am getting ready to place my order, but had some questions. I see you can do substitution for books, but I was thinking based off the number of books I have, it would be best to just order everything seperate. Would this be the best way?
It really depends on what you have . They offer a lot of the items in sets which saves you $...so unless you have a TON of the books already, the best way to order HOD is all at once (saves on shipping due to discounts) and to order things in their sets.
snadig wrote:Rev2Rev scienc. If I order The Advanced Curriculum kit, would I order the Exploration Education Curriculum too, or are they seperate curriculums?

No, it is not a seperate curriculum. Exploration Education has two options - the intermediate guide for the younger ages and the advanced guide for the older students. Science option 2 is all the books plus the advanced logbook and box of supplies for the Exploration Educaton curriculum. Unless you have two students doing the same science, you will not need the add-ons (those are just extra log books).
snadig wrote:One last question. I am understandig that you don't do Emerging readers with DITHOR. Is this correct? I am using Beyond for my son (age 7). He is reading well, and I don't think I will finish the Horizon phonics he was doing for 1st grade, because he will cover most of the phonics rules in All About spelling. So I was thinking of starting with the Emerging readers(we have most of these) and then half way switch over to DITHOR. Does this make sense?

You don't do emerging readers with DITHR. However, there is no rule saying you can't start halfway through the ERs and then switch over. We actually started with ERs, stopped for a bit because he wasn't ready, then went back to them, skipped a few because his skills made a big jump, and then started DITHR before the end of Bigger Hearts. I think the best part of homeschooling is being able to make things work for each individual child. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

snadig

Post by snadig » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I just want to be clear on the Science for Rev to Rev. I am going to order the Economy package option 2-175.81 (p67 in catalog) and Exploration Education curriculum Advanced kit for 139.95(p68 in catalog)? :?

As for ordering things seperate, I have about 30 of the books from using Sonlight. So I will have to look at it some more to see what works best. I am excited about switching, but a bit stressed on how to get it to work smoothly from one child to the other. I am praying for the Lord to guide me through this.
Thanks again for your help.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi Stacey! :D

Welcome to HOD! I'm getting ready to order Rev2Rev myself, so I think I can answer your questions. :wink:

For science, you will need to order Science Package Option 2, which is $175.81. That will include the 6 books listed, the inventor student notebooking pages, and the advanced exploration education curriculum kit. It has it ALL! :D

If I were you, I'd just look and see how many of the books you already have from the different packages to decide if it's worth ordering the set or just getting what you need individually. If I had a bunch of the books and it was less expensive to just get what I needed, that is exactly what I would do.

And, you are right about the Emerging Readers. They are not used with DITHOR. When you get your guide for Beyond, you'll want to look in the appendix. Carrie has a schedule for using them there. You're free to start in that schedule wherever it works for your child, but we stuck to the pace of reading the books as I think the bite-sized reading there was good for developing oral reading skills and comprehension. Then, after each day's reading there are follow-up comprehension questions included that are based on Bloom's Taxonomy. We found these to be a big help in building comprehension as our kids started analyzing what THEY were reading. :wink:

Happy Ordering!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

snadig

Post by snadig » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Hello ladies.

Thank you all for your help. I just placed part of my order and was getting ready to order for my older daughter. Does the Extension package replace the basic package in RevtoRev and Preparing, or would you order both?

Thanks!!
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 pm

you would order both. :) The extension packs are in addition to the basics. We've done the extension packs with the other guides before. :)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

snadig

Post by snadig » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Darci,

Thanks for your reply. I will order both. I need to order the basic package for preparing also. Do the extensions add alot of time to the day. I am assuming they do them on there own.
Thanks again I am very excited.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Sorry for the delay in answering you!
I have found they don't add much to the day; maybe an extra 30 minutes or so overall. :)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 am

For extensions, there is a reading schedule and suggested follow-up assignments in the appendix of each HOD guide that features extensions. The extensions are meant to be read independently by the student, but the follow-ups are available to help the student interact more with the material, and so mom can assess comprehension and learning. :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12