Same guide back to back

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tiffanieh

Same guide back to back

Post by tiffanieh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:35 am

All of a sudden I'm starting to doubt my decision to put my 9 year old in Bigger while my 10 year old (almost 11) does Preparing. I'm nervous about doing Preparing back to back since next year he will be ready for that one.

Has anyone else done a guide like this two years in a row with different children and was excited about it the 2nd go around??
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

mskogen

Re: Same guide back to back

Post by mskogen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:40 am

Me, Me...each kid is different. The perspective they hold and how the conversation turns and what the projects look like. Plus I learn and remember more the second time around. We have bee doing this since Bigger/Preparing, then Preparing/CTC. This year it will be CTC/RTR. I can't wait to start! :D
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:01 am

We are currently with DD2 and DD3 in LHFHG and Beyond... (and LHTH and LHFHG) but I'm spacing them out... they were actually overlapping a bit, as in before DD2 got done with a guide, DD3 started it. But they are way too far apart in abilities (and personalities :shock: ) to combine them... We now have it where they are about 10 units apart (meaning DD2 will be doing Bigger for 10 or so units before DD3 starts Beyond) I like that better :) It gives me a tiny bit of a break... but then again, we school year around so I don't get summer off :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 am

I used to think this would bother me, but then I remembered back when I taught public school, I sometimes taught the same thing for many, many years in a row. It never bothered me then, so, I suppose it wouldn't now! :wink: What would bother me more than teaching the same guides back to back is having my dc in guides they couldn't do. THAT would make the year difficult and full of too much angst. Having dc in the right guides really makes each child flourish, which in turn makes teaching them a delight! :D So, all this to say, if your dc place in guides back to back, I'd not worry about teaching the guides back to back. As mskogen wisely shared - the conversations are different, the work looks different as HOD plans for creativity and individuality (no run-off worksheets with set answers), the character qualities/devotion things to work through vary with dc's needs, etc. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 am

I am doing this now and have done this before. I really enjoyed the first time so I felt certain I would like it the second time. I have to say I think I actually love it more the second time around. :D You know where it is heading and it is fun to be able to use that to make it even more exciting. I like to torment my kids with what is coming next. :lol: A little anticipation can be a fun thing. :wink: Truly I would agree that my kids going through it saw new things the second time around and that did make it different for me too. I'll be repeating an HOD program back to back for the next six years and I am really not worried at all that it will become burdensome. Actually really loving the repeat effect. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Thank you ladies! You have calmed my fears tremendously!!! Now I'm just worried about keeping the younger guy out of hear shot for our readings and such so it will all be new and exciting for him next year! LOL
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Listening in.....

If we stay with HOD I will have my 10yo in Preparing and my 8yo in Bigger so I will always be teaching the guides back to back. :mrgreen:
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

abrightmom

Post by abrightmom » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:31 pm

mskogen wrote:Me, Me...each kid is different. The perspective they hold and how the conversation turns and what the projects look like. Plus I learn and remember more the second time around. We have bee doing this since Bigger/Preparing, then Preparing/CTC. This year it will be CTC/RTR. I can't wait to start! :D
Michelle,

Have you posted sample schedules or how you run your days? I'd love to see that.... :D
Katrina 8) Wife to Ben, husband extraordinaire! God is so good!
DS21, DS20, DD18
Levi DS14

sted

Post by sted » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 pm

We did Bigger back to back last year and I was worried about the "boredom" factor for me but actually I loved it. I was much more relaxed doing it the second time as I knew what was coming and it freed me up learn a new guide with my older child. Like someone already said, it looks different with each child and the plus is I learned what I missed the first time :lol:

Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1