Please help me place my 15 year old!!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amf1025

Please help me place my 15 year old!!!!

Post by amf1025 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 am

I will be using Beyond for my dd 8 and Preparing for my ds 10. I also have a dd 15, I am not sure I should use hod with her or not. She is going into 10th grade. We used Creation to Christ 2 years ago and it went well. Her reading is a bit delayed so I would just like some help which program to use if I went with HOD!!!
ANN
Amanda 18 - Community College
Allison 15 - Private Christian School
Andrew 10 - MFW exploring countries and cultures
Abby 8- Beyond

Heather4Him

Re: Please help me place my 15 year old!!!!

Post by Heather4Him » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Ann,

Have you checked the placement chart on the main website?

After that, I would just say HOD can be great for your 15yo!! We are using it for our 3rd school year this coming year with our soon-to-be 15yo 10th grader (using "Rev2Rev" after CTC and RTR the past two years). There are several others here using HOD for their high schoolers as well. Carrie also has a "sticky" at the top of the boards on how to "beef up" HOD for high school. :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Liberty Carriage

Post by Liberty Carriage » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 pm

My daughter just turned 15 May 31st. She has been using HOD since CTC and will be using the newest guide, Missions to Modern Marvels this year. It has been perfect for her. If you need to beef it up, there is plenty of advice here on how to do that.

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm

My 15 YO son (going into 9th grade) will be doing Rev2Rev this fall. He has done Preparing and RTR. He will do the extension set. We also added Bible, music, and Spanish. I think it will be a great program for my 15 year old. You should probably check the placement chart, but Rev2Rev and M2M are both high school worthy with very little tweaking. RTR can also be made into a high school program but will require more supplementing. Just make sure your math and LA are grade level.

Good luck.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:03 am

I am alsing using HOD for high school. :D We have ran RTR and Rev to Rev on the high school level. I have heard of people using CTC for the high school level. I would think about first as Heather said where she places best. Some time has passed so did she pick up the skills she would have picked up in RTR or would starting there be a good place to start? Definietley I agree get the best fit first. Then I would also look a little at how would the 4 year cycle of HOD place for her in terms of requirements a little but know there are many ways to skin a cat with that. :wink: So if you get her placed as best possible then I would come back and look at how would your four year plan work after that. Take a peek at the beef up thread and then come back and ask more questions. There are plenty of us doing HOD for high school on many different levels and you are going to find this board is a great place to help you work out how that can best work for you. :D

We are loving HOD for high school. My dd doing it now is a good reader but I have to tell you that I think for someone who is slower HOD is a great choice as well. You can customize it so well for that I think you are going to find it is a great fit for your 15 year old as well. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

amf1025

Post by amf1025 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:33 am

So I read all the topics on hod for highschool. For 9th grade this year we used Mystery of History 1 and we just started R&S 5 for English. My state requirements are 4 years of history with one being US History and one being gov. & Economics. So this is what I was thinking: Resurrection to Reformation for 10th, Revival to Revolution for 11th and Missions to Modern Marvels for 12th. Any suggestions?
ANN
Amanda 18 - Community College
Allison 15 - Private Christian School
Andrew 10 - MFW exploring countries and cultures
Abby 8- Beyond

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm

amf1025 wrote:So I read all the topics on hod for highschool. For 9th grade this year we used Mystery of History 1 and we just started R&S 5 for English. My state requirements are 4 years of history with one being US History and one being gov. & Economics. So this is what I was thinking: Resurrection to Reformation for 10th, Revival to Revolution for 11th and Missions to Modern Marvels for 12th. Any suggestions?
I think that could work for you. :D You could just do a beef up on government and a beef up on economics along with HOD. You can see some of that on the beef up thread. It may be that you did the government part in the Rev to Rev and the economics as a beef up in the Moderns, but in the end between those two you end up with complete US history and then you economics and government requirement. So two years and 2 requirements. Then you take your MOH1 and RTR as your two other years of history. That is a full set up and with that I think you would have it. :D I would read through the beef ups and also perhaps ask Carrie to help you with details if needed.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 am

Sounds like a good plan! :D I think you will enjoy HOD with your 15 yo as much as you do with your 8 and 10 yo dc! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie