HOD Brag!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

HOD Brag!

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I just wanted to share that my ds13 went from BELOW grade level (5th grade)in spelling last year (end of his 6th grade year) to ABOVE AVERAGE(9th grade 9th month!!) in spelling this year (end of 7th grade) on his stanford achievement test. The difference is that we now have two years of dictation under our belts! I am convinved this has made all the difference for him. He is still a struggling speller, IMO, but he does know how words should be spelled and even when he isn't sure what the correct spelling is, he can still look at the word and know that it is not quite right. This gives him the opportunity to use his dictionary or spell check and I have seen such a huge change! :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

acts29stl

Re: HOD Brag!

Post by acts29stl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17 pm

YEAH :D
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

blessed2five

Post by blessed2five » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:38 am

That's great news! I love dictation too, it is so much more fun than spelling lists!
Emily
Homeschooling mom to 5dc, wife to wonderful dh
dd 13 finished RTR onto RevtoRev in the fall
dd 10 Preparing
dd 5 ready for LHFHG
ds 16, dd 3

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 pm

That's awesome, Rebecca!!!!!!! :D
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:50 pm

HOORAY! This is so worth celebrating, Rebecca! :D :D :D We have found this to be true for our sons as well, in particular one of them who did not naturally spell well...
Tree House Academy wrote:I just wanted to share that my ds13 went from BELOW grade level (5th grade)in spelling last year (end of his 6th grade year) to ABOVE AVERAGE(9th grade 9th month!!) in spelling this year (end of 7th grade) on his stanford achievement test. The difference is that we now have two years of dictation under our belts! I am convinved this has made all the difference for him...
It took some time, as in years, but dictation has slowly helped our ds become a very good speller, and as you said - he definitely gets the "Does it look right?" thought process in editing and finds it to be a solid go to help when writing. :wink: As a side benefit, his Iowa Basic Skills scores have gradually gone up and up and up through the years - PTL! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie