2 Questions -Ahead in Math/Behind in English

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

2 Questions -Ahead in Math/Behind in English

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok, got a 2 in 1 question here :wink: Any imput would be so appreciated and I'm hoping Carrie and/or Julie could give me their take if possible...

First: Ds (11) just started his 6th grade year and just started Singapore 6a. At this rate, he'll be doing Algebra 1 in the 8th grade (or possibly even in 7th if he's ready -is that correct?). I know this is early to be starting Algebra 1 which is usually taken in the 9th grade. Is this wise for him to be taking it so early; I mean as far as college entrance is concerned? How would I include it on his transcripts? Should we slow down? I do want him to take as many higher level maths as possible as he is very mathy, but I'm worried that colleges won't accept any math taken before 9th grade. Does anyone else have a scenario like this? I'm pretty sure we'll probably go the "Discovering Mathematics" route.

Second: Same ds (6th grade) is about half way through Rod and Staff English 5. He's in CtC which only has English scheduled 2 days a week. At that rate, he won't be able to catch up very quickly. Should I have him doing English every day so he doesn't get too far behind? He is also doing WWTB.

That was actually 5 questions :lol: sorry!
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

blessedmomof4

Re: 2 Questions -Ahead in Math/Behind in English

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 pm

About Rod and Staff: If he is in 6th grade doing the first half of level 5 with CTC, he will do the second half of level 5 with RTR which also has grammar twice a week; then in grade 8 with Rev to Rev, he will do level 6 and complete it, because grammar is scheduled daily in Rev to Rev. So, he is actually right on track, as Carrie recommends completing level 6 by the end of 8th grade :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:36 am

Algebra I is typically taught in 8th grade :) As in most 8th graders in public school have this schedule

7th-pre algebra
8th - algebra I
9th - geometry
10th - algebra II
11th -trig/pre-cal
12th - calculus

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 pm

Algebra I is typically taught in 8th grade As in most 8th graders in public school have this schedule

7th-pre algebra
8th - algebra I
9th - geometry
10th - algebra II
11th -trig/pre-cal
12th - calculus
Ah, guess he's not as ahead as I thought he was. :oops: I don't know why I was thinking Algebra 1 was taken in 9th -seems like that's when I took it, but that's been so long ago :shock:
About Rod and Staff: If he is in 6th grade doing the first half of level 5 with CTC, he will do the second half of level 5 with RTR which also has grammar twice a week; then in grade 8 with Rev to Rev, he will do level 6 and complete it, because grammar is scheduled daily in Rev to Rev. So, he is actually right on track, as Carrie recommends completing level 6 by the end of 8th grade
Thank you, Lourdes! This helps so much :D
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 am

You're welcome :) And you're not going crazy-back when I was in school Algebra 1 was in 9th grade-but now many public schools have changed that, though not all. Some have the option based on student readiness whether to take Algebra 1 in 8th or 9th.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote:
You're welcome And you're not going crazy-back when I was in school Algebra 1 was in 9th grade-but now many public schools have changed that, though not all. Some have the option based on student readiness whether to take Algebra 1 in 8th or 9th.
Whew!! That's a relief! I hated math in middle school/high school, so I figured I just blocked it out :lol:

Ok, one more thing...and I may need Julie or Carrie to get the official answer on this. I know they're both extremely busy and understand if it they're not able to get to it, so all thoughts are appreciated. I read in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5500 where Carrie wrote,
Singapore Primary Mathematics 6A/6B is considered to be the equivalent of Pre-Algebra. Some students are ready to move into Algebra I after 6A/6B. Other students need more of a Pre-Algebra (U.S. style) before heading into an Algebra I program.
But then other threads I've read say that Discovering Mathematics 1a and 1b is the equivalent of Pre-Algebra. So I just want to be sure b/c I'm wondering if he could skip Discovering Mathematics 1a, 1b and go straight to Algebra 1, if he's ready...any thoughts?
Miranda