RTR ADVISE/HELP NEEDED PLEASE (=

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Brie

RTR ADVISE/HELP NEEDED PLEASE (=

Post by Brie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:56 pm

With all that being said, we'd like to know what part of HOD in the older years isn't CM inspired? I have read that some areas aren't CM inspired (mostly the younger age with grammar). We see from posts that the Bible and Jesus' love spread out throughout HOD curriculum and love that aspect!!

We have decided to use HOD RtR for our 12 yo dd in the fall. She is advanced in her reading, comprehension, and spelling. Grammar she used Jr. Analytical Grammar which she enjoyed (she didn't like grammar before this). Her writing is godd as well. She started writing chapter books in 3rd grade. In one of our co-ops she will be taking IEW for further writing. Math is her weakness and we've switched to MUS with great success. Praise the Lord! Years ago we used MFW and loved their lesson plan yet it was watered down in the deep literature and history area. Which we understand is because their cycles are to
incorporate multiple siblings into one manual (love that for more than 1 student in a family!). I miss their manual. Yet our daughter is too advanced to be
challenged by the curriculum. We use Ambleside Online now and enjoy the deep literature that it offers. I would enjoy a manual that gives me structure to
follow with flexibility to change what I would like to (hope that makes sense). Our daughter would like to spice up her day with fun activities related to the
curriculum. If AO had a TM that offered these ideas throughout a lesson plan we would never switch! The kind of abstract teaching ability to come up with ideas
and projects to spice it up I don't seem to possess, if I do I'm not sure how to awaken it (LOL)! Our daughter just completed Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome
(although from HOD's online information that I've read and through forums I believe RtR starts right about where she left off with Rome). Would you say that
she would be behind in time / age / grade sequence to start there? My husband doesn't want to miss an area or have her become bored due to not being
challenged by the curriculum as she is advanced in certain areas as I mentioned before.

How much time is spent in each time period during the year (ie: Dark Ages, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation)? How long is spent on a Unit and how many units are there for each time period? Do you feel like you really get to enjoy and savor each period or it is more of an overview? We personally love to soak in the information and experience it and not be rushed (I dont' mean being bored but living it... hope that makes sense too!).

How many hours is a school day to complete the material each day in the manual? Our DD loves to learn and motivation isn't an issue, but we are a busy family. We do 1 afternoon CM Co-Op and another Co-Op all day each weekly. Being an only sibling homeschooling (our ds is 18) she enjoys the time with other children! How long does it take to complete the Drawn into the Heart of Reading? How many days/ week is this used? Would it work to use one of the history/geography (such as AO's Brendan's Voyage) for the book needed for this subject? I believe from what I've read (lots of reading boards and groups) that you chose a book to use for DITHOR. Is that correct?

We would like to add to our HOD day some AO living books we don't want to pass up. Is this fairly easy to do? I saw on one post that someone else did this. Was it very difficult?

I also was planning to do Queen for Language Lessons, Spelling and vocabulary. I like their format and CM approach to this area. Does HOD have spelling and vocabulary in the TM for RtR? I don't know a lot about R&S yet our daughter tends to like a little color added in and Queen offers that with their Language Lessons. Any wisdom hear would be greatly appreciated!

Lastly, in RtR are the extension read-alouds scheduled in the TM or do you have to figure out which pages to read and which books when throughout the year? This isn't my strong area at all! We will definitely need the extension as she's reading at a high school level. Do you chose either the basic read-alouds or the extension for the older children when we place the order?

Wow, that was long! Sorry everyone, but better to ask it all (or at least I hope I did, lol)! I'll proof-read it, but if I said things more than once please forgive me. Thank you for all the information, wisdom and advice you have to offer (=

Carrie, thank you for writing such a beautiful curriculum. I've only seen the one geared towards 1st and 2nd grade (besides the samples online), but it looks lovely and well done. Your love for your boys and the Lord shine through as a light. Your husband is also very kind to respond to emails quickly and to give the advice about this message board. Blessings to you and yours!

Blessings and grace in Him,
Drew & Brie