Need help deciding which genre my books belong in...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Need help deciding which genre my books belong in...

Post by inHistiming » Tue May 20, 2008 7:37 am

Would someone mind telling me, if you know, what genre each of these books would belong to?

1. Junie B. Jones books....humor?

2. Ralph S. Mouse, Beverly Cleary

3. Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Margaret Sidney

4. The Cat Who Wished to be a Man, Lloyd Alexander

5. Summer of the Monkeys, Wilson Rawls

6. Dragon's Gate, Laurence Yep

7. Sarah Bishop, Scott O'Dell

8. Miracles on Maple Hill, Virginia Sorensen

9. Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes

10. The Swiss Family Robinson, Johann Wyss...adventure?

I'm thinking I may label these with colored stickers according to genre so it will be easy to chose a new book when we need to. I will be purchasing some, and using the library as well, but I love the idea of organizing the books we own in this way.

Does anyone know of a way to find out the reading level of a book if it is not listed on the back? I found some using Book Advenure, but I still have several books for which I don't know the level. Any and all help is appreciated! :D

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 am

Didn't w2w mention a site not to long ago that gave this sort of info?? :? I have no idea, but would like to know how to place books as well. I think someone also mentioned checking on amazon for descriptions that give this sort of info. We need a permanent sticky post with this sort of info for all of us! :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 am

Melanie wrote: We need a permanent sticky post with this sort of info for all of us! :lol:
Agreed! there have been other posts I wouldn't mind seeing as a sticky too! Or put into a category for Helpful links/Ideas or something?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 20, 2008 11:49 am

Ladies,

Quite a few of these books can slide between categories! When choosing books for DITHR, I always refer to the "Genre Overview" list in the back of the Teacher's Guide. Then, if I'm not sure I've placed a book correctly, I will look at the more in-depth description given at the front of each genre unit in the Student Book or the Teacher's Guide to get a better fit.

Junie B. Jones books....humor

2. Ralph S. Mouse, Beverly Cleary - humor or fantasy

3. Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Margaret Sidney- realistic fictino or historical fiction

4. The Cat Who Wished to be a Man, Lloyd Alexander - fantasy or adventure

5. Summer of the Monkeys, Wilson Rawls - humor

6. Dragon's Gate, Laurence Yep (Can't remember this one for sure, but I'm thinking fantasy or adventure)

7. Sarah Bishop, Scott O'Dell (historical fiction)

8. Miracles on Maple Hill, Virginia Sorensen - realistic fiction

9. Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes (It's been a long while since I read this one, so I'm not sure anymore of the genre)

10. The Swiss Family Robinson, Johann Wyss...adventure

Blessings,
Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue May 20, 2008 1:24 pm

Thank you!

tawbur

Post by tawbur » Sat May 24, 2008 8:04 am

Does anyone have a web site where I could find info on how to categorize all the books in my home library into the best "genre"?

I don't have DITHOR yet, and won't be needing it for a while still, but I'm putting all my books on my computer with Collectorz.com's software, and I want to list the right "genre" for each as I go. Collectorz.com doesn't list that, as they say there's no standardized method for it.

I'd like to list mine with the method that Carrie uses, if I knew what that was.

Teresa

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Teresa,

We used multiple, multiple sources when trying to get the best fit genre-wise for each book (as sources often disagree as to where to place a book in a particular genre). So, we went with the majority opinion on that! :D

Blessings,
Carrie