Greetings From Alaska!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jamieswife

Greetings From Alaska!

Post by jamieswife » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:00 am

Hello There! :D

Greetings to all here and all who will be here soon!!!!

I am Crystal in Willow, Alaska. I live in this beautiful land with my wonderful hubby and 5 kiddos who've inherited their father's wonderful-ness! Haha!

I joined here when it was first up and running (about a week and a half ago?) but had some computer problems right afterwards so I'm just now introducing myself!

I am very excited about this board since I am so excited about this curriculum! I absolutely love it! It will be such a blessing to share with others who are using this wonderful program too!

Thanks Mike and Carrie! :mrgreen:
-Crystal in Alaska (using BLHFHG)
Wife to James, mom to Cody, Megan, Luke, Jesse, baby Gideon-born straight into the arms of Jesus and now our little Molly girl!

Melanie

Introductions

Post by Melanie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:04 pm

This is a good idea, to introduce ourselves.

I'm Melanie, happily married to dh for almost 15 years, with 3 wonderful dc. Twins (ds and dd) almost 7 and dd 5.5. We are using LHFHG for our K/1st year. We are having a great year!

Crystal, I have been to Alaska once, and I have to say, of all the places in our country that I have visited, your state takes the cake for most beautiful. When my dh is asked where he would live if he could live anywhere, he always answers "Alaska" with no hesitation! But, we will probably live here is MO for the rest of our lives raising cows and kids!

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 pm

hi to you both! I'm Darci, I'm in Iowa-I guess I already made a separate intro. :-) oh well...

jamieswife

Post by jamieswife » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi Melanie!

Alaska simply takes my breath away no matter how long I've lived here! We're from San Diego so to think I can just look out my window and see mountains bigger then anything I ever imagined is mind boggling.

The "atmosphere" here is so perfect for raising a family and no homeschool laws makes homeschooling a breeze!

I love that God has placed us here!
-Crystal in Alaska (using BLHFHG)
Wife to James, mom to Cody, Megan, Luke, Jesse, baby Gideon-born straight into the arms of Jesus and now our little Molly girl!

inHistiming

Introduction

Post by inHistiming » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:46 am

I'm Wendy. I grew up in Alabama, moved to Florida for 8 years (minus 2 months in Va for husband's field assignment), and now we are into our second month in New York. Talk about a change for this southern girl! It's beautiful here, and everyone is very nice. We are looking forward to fall and winter because we've never experienced "real" seasons like we'll have here. We're spending a year here for a temporary job transfer (hubby again!) and then will decide if we stay or move on. So, we're in for an exciting and educational year. Looking forward to getting into our reader's schedule with BLHFHG.

Tansy

Re: Introduction

Post by Tansy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 pm

inHistiming wrote:we are into our second month in New York. Talk about a change for this southern girl! It's beautiful here, and everyone is very nice.
I'm trying not to be envious :) I grew up in New York and my hubby and I moved to Texas 4 years ago to serve at the "home" office of GFA. I was so happy not to have to move to India. But I do miss the fall. I so love maple trees in full bloom. Yet I must admit I don't miss snow up to the second story windows... pity Mom wouldn't let us sled out of my Brothers bedroom window... but I digress.

I'm down here in Texas with one daughter who is 8 years old. She is a special tresure to us. She is from Pune India and we adopted her at 23 months. She was seriously delayed and weighed only 19 pounds. We have been using Carries products since first grade with Lil hearts.

Carrie was so patient with me at the Confrence 3 years ago. Imagine my surprize when I realised I had talked to the author for 30 min! Eeeeek! We have been using her stuff ever since. I'm so excited as bigger has just arrived and I only have a few more weeks till I can dig into it.

Is anyone else like me .. do you sit down and read all those wonderful children's books the moment they arrive...
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

anraab'smomma

Introducing myself

Post by anraab'smomma » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:43 am

Hi. Thought I would take a minute to introduce myself, since I hope I can check and post on this site pretty regularly.

I'm Tina, and I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin (and, yes, I'm a "Cheesehead" for those of you familiar with the Green Bay Packers!). My husband and I have Rachel (6) and Abigail (5). I also never forget my oldest daughter, Anna, whom we lost in a second-trimester miscarriage; she would be 8.

I've been at home since Rachel was born and planned to homeschool right from the start. In my "previous life" I was a public school teacher (middle school and high school), a job I loved and was definitely called to for a season - but I believe there's a huge difference between going into the public schools as an adult (with the purpose of using one's job as a mission field) and throwing one's children into that environment. Besides that, I LOVE being with my girls (sure, there are moments, but I can't imagine sending them away from me 7 to 8 hours a day) and being the one who gets to "see the lights go on" when they learn something for the first time.

In addition to homeschooling, I operate a (very!) small daycare - just two toddler girls this year. Last year, I was able to care for a 5-year old who missed the kindergarten enrollment cut-off date, and her parents asked if I would "do kindergarten" with her along with my girls. We used Littlle Hearts for His Glory, and it went so well that I'm now hoping my other daycare parents will keep their girls with me through kindergarten (in Wisconsin, compulsory school attendance begins in first grade). This year, my girls are using Beyond Little Hearts and I'm equally happy with it (I'll post my specfic praises under each curriculum). I'm also a writer - currently as staff writer for a ministry based in Texas and hoping someday to publish children's books and teachers' aids.
Honored and humbled to be raising Rachel and Abigail. Also Momma to Anna, who is with the Lord.

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:04 pm

:D Hi All! My name is Amy. I live in Alabama with my Husband Big T of 7 years, my son T who is 5 years and my "baby" Taylor who is 3years old. I have stayed home since T was born and felt that God was calling me to homeschool since T was 2. God has been working on my heart and preparing me until we jumped in and started with LHFHG this year. I absolutely love the program and what's great is that my kids love school. I really wanted something with a mix of Charlotte Mason and Traditional so this fit perfectly for us. We love to read about Reddy fox, Peter Rabbit, and Danny meadow mouse. Sometimes I admit to reading ahead! :wink: I am looking forward to learning from all of you ladies.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

joyful jean

Hello from the UP

Post by joyful jean » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:21 am

Hello,

I will introduce myself as well,

I am Penny from the UP of Michigan. I have 2 boys Cody age 7 and Matt age 5 and the Lord has blessed me with a wonderful man whom I have been married to for almost 14 years! We love to do everything as a family.....especially enjoying God's outdoors, and cheering on our Packers (DH is orginally from Wisconsin and still claims to be a cheesehead at heart.......anraab's momma we'll have to get together for the super bowl, eh?).

Homeschooling is so perfect for our family for we love to travel and bring school with us or be able to choose not to bring it with us. We started in July this year because we just got back from Alaska and did not want to have to think about school......(Jamie's wife, I could have come for a visit! We were south of Fairbanks is that near you?).

This year we are doing a combination of BLHfHG & LHfHG both for the second time. Next year we will do just BHfHG which I am itching to already order. Right now we do not do a recommended reading program, but I am thinking about switching...I am kinda in the research mode right now.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you ladies and sharing what our school days are like.
God Blesses Every Day, it is up to us to notice!

wife for almost 14 years to my best friend
ds #1 age 7 Second year using Beyond little hearts for His Glory
ds #2 age 5 Little Hearts for His Glory
also used Little Hands to Heaven

netpea

Introduction

Post by netpea » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:28 am

My name is Lee Ann. We live in Michigan. I've used Little Hands with both my kids and Little Hearts with my oldest.

I should have moved him into Beyond Little Hearts but we tried something else last year which did not work out well for us. I just ordered Beyond and we will work through that. Wish I had ordered it last Christmas when I realized the other program wasn't working out.

My daughter is using a different K program right now, she's 4, turning 5 this month, then I will move her into Little Hearts.

I have loved the two programs I've used from Heart of Dakota, I just wanted to touch and feel Beyond before I bought, now I regret choosing another curriculum. Here's hoping Beyond will be what I'm looking for!

:lol: