The Reading Lesson Pace

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommybelle

The Reading Lesson Pace

Post by mommybelle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:05 pm

I was just curious how others structure their lessons with The Reading Lesson. We are currently on Lesson 4. The book says that the lessons should be repeated for the first three lessons, but it doesn't say anything else regarding the lessons after Lesson 3. I've been making my DD repeat each lesson from the previous day with 2-3 new pages each day. We don't have lessons extend over 10-15 minutes. Should I continue to repeat lessons through the book or just move forward with new pages every day?

Also, for the words at the end of each lesson that are listed, should she know these words as "sight" words by the end of that lesson?
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

Molly

Re: The Reading Lesson Pace

Post by Molly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

I don't always repeat, but at times I have repeated a page for three days in a row adding one new one each day and reviewing a couple. My wee fellow is getting close to truely clicking with reading so I am imagining it won't be much longer and he'll be going at a quicker pace and I'll just take it as it comes and see what we will do then.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 am

For us, it just depends on how they are doing. My oldest two already knew their basic sounds when we started, so we did not repeat those pages at the beginning of the early chapters. However, when they were learning new words or reading stories, we would repeat. Even now, with ds finishing lesson 16 and dd in lesson 10, we repeat any pages that they have difficulty with (i.e. Struggle with more than 2 or 3 words on the page). Ds does 2-3 pages a day and usually one of those is a repeat. Dd does 1 (sometimes 2) pages a day and usually repeats that page before moving on. The program flows so nicely that it has really been intuitive as to when to slow down and when to pick up the pace. HTH.
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:28 pm

We usually do each page 2 times. (Some stories she likes to read over and over and I let her.)We are on lesson 8 and we do 2-4 pages a day, depending on how much reading energy she has! I start with the new page and end with a repeat so we end with the easier read! That leaves dd with a more accomplished feeling. :D :D
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Larica

Post by Larica » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm

As we were going through a lesson, dd would highlight any words/sentences she had trouble with. Then each day we would quickly go back over all the highlighted material for the whole lesson, then do our new pages (she was up to 4 new ones per day by the end). It worked well for us!

Erica
Erica
mom to 5, ages 7 to 15
Enjoyed LHTH to WH so far!

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:39 pm

I didn't repeat any lessons, just moved ahead 2 pages every day. :D
Kristin
Mom to two girly girls (7 and 5) and boy/girl twins born May 2013
Have used LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond
Sharing our joy at http://www.broomandcrown.com