4 kinds of prayer

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
homeschool mom

4 kinds of prayer

Post by homeschool mom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 pm

I just received my catalog. I have never been in a bible study that covered praying, I just pray-speak to God. Yet the Missions to Modern Marvels section G lists "pray using the four parts of prayer". Do you all know anymore about this? What book or resource will tell me more about this? :?:
Ginger
homeschool mom

4Hispraise

Re: 4 kinds of prayer

Post by 4Hispraise » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I don't know if this is what is meant, but it is what I learned about prayer in a study when I was a new believer years ago & is how we have taught our children:

Adoration
Confession
Thanksgiving
Supplication

I am very interested to see Julie/Carrie's answer to this question as well!! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Yes! You are correct! I learned also that you pause and let the holy spirit prompt you for what he wants you to pray about in each of the 4 areas:
Adoration=praise
Confession=any sins you have spoken, any wrong actions, thoughts
Thanksgiving
Supplication=protection/requests etc

Believe me, this is a very powerful and personal way to pray, especially pausing and listening for the still small voice of the holy spirit. It is like a 2-way conversation! I find it absolutely awesome that HOD TEACHES students to pray in this way. If only I had learned to pray in this wa as a young child! It's even more effective and much more personal when you keep a journal/record of your prayers. It helps to see answered prayers.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Ginger,

This is such a good question, and the ladies have already shared such thoughtful responses. :D I'll just pop-in to agree and to share that we begin praying through the 4 parts of prayer in CTC and do it from each guide on up through MTMM. :D The 4 parts of prayer are based on the model Jesus set forth as an example of how to pray in the Lord's Prayer.

In CTC, we model this by giving kiddos prayer starters each day and then having them prayer the actual Scripture that they have read that day for their Bible Quiet Time. They do adoration one day, confession the next, thanksgiving the next, and supplication the last day in each unit. :D

In RTR, we provide just the type of prayer to begin with and a starter for that type of prayer. The kiddos then pray in their own way. By the end of each unit, they have prayed all 4 parts of prayer. :D

In Rev2Rev, we have kiddos pray all 4 parts of prayer each day. We give them a sheet with the 4 parts of prayer listed, and each part of prayer includes 10 or more starters beneath it that kiddos could use to get them started on that part of the prayer if needed. They keep the sheet in their Bible. :D

In MTMM, we will begin keeping a brief prayer journal, so since this is a new step, we will go back to praying one part of prayer each day (praying all 4 parts by the end of each unit). Kiddos will also have a different set of possible things to ponder that will guide them in praying the 4 parts of prayer. :D

I've found in my own prayer life that it is very easy to skip the step of adoration, even though we serve such a great and mighty God that adoration should just flow from my lips! Praying through the various parts of prayer reminds me not to skip this very important step! It also takes much of the me-centered focus out of praying and causes us to look beyond ourselves and our needs, reminding us to be thankful for all God has done for us and to remember to confess our faults and sins when we fail too. :D

While I was worried initially that praying through the parts of prayer may make prayer too formula-like and less personal, I've actually found the opposite to be true. It has brought me into a greater communion with our Lord. Jesus taught us how to pray through his example in Scripture, and through his example I believe my children need to be taught too. :D

I can honestly say that I have had a richer prayer life since learning about and working toward praying through the parts of prayer. It keeps me from just laying before the Lord a whole laundry list of worries each day and balances out my focus. :D We have found the same to be true for our children as well, as they spend time with the Lord each day through the plans in their HOD guides. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 pm

I just wanted to comment on this. When I got my recent HOD catalog, I was still on the fence if I wanted to go back to HOD or not. (We had done about 1/2 of a guide last year and did enjoy it, just not sure if it was what we wanted to do.) I saw this prayer subject brought up in one of the samples, and it was SO powerful for me. This was the way that I was brought up learning about prayer. It wasn't a legalistic 'this is how you have to pray', but it was more of an example on how to have a balanced prayer life. I have grown up praying like this, and I agree with Carrie that it is a great way to pray. I was thrilled and from this and other examples, I know that this program is teaching the Bible the way that I was raised and the way that I want to raise my children. Whether or not we use it for one more year or ten more years, I believe this program provides a strong foundation in the Christian faith. This isn't really an answer to the OP, but just a side note to Carrie about how pleased I was to see this in the guide sample. (And I am now anxiously awaiting two programs in the mail!!!!) Yay!
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

mommybelle

Post by mommybelle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:08 pm

If anyone has any young children (especially those just learning to read and spell), you can use this to teach them the 4 parts of prayer at a young age too. Although sometimes it is hard with younger children to keep the prayers new and not just a motion.

P = Praise
R = Repent
A = Ask
Y = Thank You

I have personally been using this for myself lately as it helps me remember the 4 parts too.

Just thought I'd share! :)
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

homeschool mom

Post by homeschool mom » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank You for all the responses. Now I have a better understanding of prayer! :!:
Ginger
homeschool mom

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:29 am

Let me just say this thrills me to see what is coming up in the guides! I had no idea learning the aspects of prayer was part of this curriculum! The more I learn about HOD the more I love it :)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I was so thankful for this leading in the guides! I realized that we spend a lot of time on the supplication part of prayer, and not enough time on adoration, confession, and thanksgiving. It was a good reality check for all of us! The Bible studies and devotionals we do in HOD have helped us all become more aware of how being in the Word is a super way to be able to have those Scripture verses come to mind and assist us in those parts of the prayer. I liked Wyatt's prayer starters so much I wanted a copy for myself for my own quiet time. I can tell Wyatt has carried this over to his meal time prayers. He effortlessly can move through the ACTS model now with heart - so now it is ME that needs to do some work in this area. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie