Which grade level for standardized testing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
countrymom

Which grade level for standardized testing?

Post by countrymom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm

I think we are going to give our son the CAT5 test, but I am not sure which grade level to order. I should say this is not for any state requirements (trying to ease some fears within the greater family), so we can do what we want. Anyway, we are starting unit 11 in Bigger, finished the emerging readers in April, a little ahead in Math on about page 23 of Singapore 2B, on the 2nd spelling list, #19, and right with the Bigger unit for Rod & Staff English. Should I use 1st or 2nd grade for a testing level? It seems a little above 1st grade, but I wanted to make sure we were far enough along to test for 2nd grade. Any thoughts?
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

8arrows

Re: Which grade level for standardized testing?

Post by 8arrows » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:03 pm

What grade would they be in if they were in public school (by age)? That is the year I order.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 am

We just got through with testing and my dd who is in Beyond (halfway as written) scored mid 3rd grade on her testing. I'd say you could easily go with 2nd grade, but I'd probably just get whatever grade level they would have finished in public school.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 am

I do the grade they would be in if they had attended public school, even though they are technically ahead in some things. HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 pm

You definitely want to test based on the grade they would be in in PS. If your child is ahead, that will show in his testing...bu you definitely do not want to test above grade level and have the things where your child is ON grade level show negatively. Does that make sense?
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39 am

Thanks, that does make sense.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC