New to Homeschool looking for input

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
KatrinaS

New to Homeschool looking for input

Post by KatrinaS » Tue May 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Hello everyone! My sons are 6 and one is soon to be 9. They have been in public school for pre-k through this year. The youngest is completing K and oldest is completing 2nd grade. We are excited to switch to homeschool starting this fall, and a bit nervous. I just attended FPEA convention this last weekend and right before we were leaving convention I heard a speaker and a parent speak highly of HOD. Since I have started looking into it more, my interest is sparked. I ordered a catalog and look forward to getting it. If I were to use this curriculum is there a way I can make it work for both boys? My oldest is on the autism spectrum and has varying abilities, he is high-functioning and is gifted in some areas and has difficulties in others, but with help works at least at grade level in all areas. My youngest has accomplished all K tasks without struggle and is reading.

With just starting out, I am nervous to build my own curriculum. What suggestions do you have and what do you think about placement? Thanks so much for any input! Katrina

MicheleW

Re: New to Homeschool looking for input

Post by MicheleW » Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 am

Katrina,

Welcome! Homeschooling is an adventure with lots of ups and downs, but it is so worth it! One thing to remember when pulling kids from PS (I did this as well) is that it can take some time to get used to homeschooling (for mom and for kids). Don't be surprised if things don't run as smoothly as you hoped when you get started. The first year I homeschooled my DD, who had gone to PS for K and 1st and then asked to be homeschooled (older sib already at home), she spent part of every day explaining to me (and sometimes whining) that "this isn't how they do it at real school!" She is now finishing 5th grade, and just asked me a couple weeks ago for reassurance that she would never have to go back to PS! So start slowly at first, give everyone time to adjust and to get the hang of the curriculum.

As far as combining your two, I would not recommend it. They really do so much better if they are in the guide they place best in. I have two that are one grade apart and the older has significant learning disabilities, so I do combine those two but otherwise I wouldn't. There is such a difference in only 2 grades. One of the great things about the HOD curriculum is that you can open the guide and it is all layed out for you. If you try to combine, you end up changing parts to fit the younger and other parts to fit the older, and pretty soon you are writing your own curriculum.

ON the HOD website and in the catalog is a very detailed placement chart based on their skill level in various areas. I would study that carefully and plot out each child. My guess is you would want Little Hearts for your 1st grader and Beyond Little Hearts or Bigger Hearts for the 3rd grader. If your oldest is an advanced reader but struggles with writing or attention or whatever, you have the option to go down a level and order the extenstion set for that level which brings the reading up a little.

Once you get into a groove, you will see that homeschooling doesn't take nearly as long as PS, so it is very doable to run 2 or more guides at once. The catalog says Little Hearts takes about 90minutes a day (probably want to break that up!), Beyond 2-2.5 hours, and Bigger 3-3.5hours.

I am homeschooling 4 (2 in Bigger, 1 in RTR, and one doing an eclectic high school program) and we are usually done by 2:00 (starting around 8:30.)

God bless you as you begin your journey! The challenges are great, but the rewards are unspeakable!
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Wed May 30, 2012 6:55 am

Hi and welcome to HOD!

As the pp mentioned, look at the placement chart on the website or when you receive your catalog. It is a great tool for placing your kids. Once they are placed properly, HOD is simple to run. :)

For your youngest, based on what you told us, I would suggest Beyond with Emerging Readers. Little Hearts is a sweet program but if you youngest accomplished all K tasks easily and is reading Beyond would be the better fit. The Emerging Readers schedule is in the Beyond guide as well as the plans & activities for Singapore Math 1a & 1b.

As for your oldest, maybe Bigger depending on his skills and what you determine from the placement chart as far as his strengths & weaknesses.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

KatrinaS

Post by KatrinaS » Wed May 30, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks so much for the input, I will study the placement chart some more and be back for more info I am sure. I appreciate you both taking the time to share the info!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 am

How exciting - you are about to begin a grand adventure, and you have chosen an excellent partner in HOD! :D The ladies have done a good job of advising you to check out the placement chart, especially the first page of it. HOD is very flexible, and sometimes combining is a good fit, and sometimes it is not. The placement chart helps make that clearer. :D When you receive your catalog, that will also help as you determine what will fit your dc's needs the best. The good news is - as long as dc are appropriately placed in HOD - whether you combine or whether you teach multiple guides - HOD is easy to teach, no prep, no planning, filled with the solid academics, lots of fun, and Christ-centered. We love our days with HOD. One thing that really helps us feel better about helping with placement is knowing specifically about each of your individual dc's skills. I am going to link you to the placement chart here...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

It works well to print a copy of the placement chart (at least the first page) for each of your dc. Then, you can think solely of one child at a time as you circle where they fall skillwise in the columns. If you can then share that information with us here on the board, we would all love to chime in and help you chat through what would be best for your dc. I'll check back here later, but I want you to know - this board is full of encouraging, Christian ladies, who love to help. HOD has made our homeschooling journey for the past 10 years such a blessing. I want that for you and your family too! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie