Need guidance in how to handle 2nd and 3rd grade LA

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

Need guidance in how to handle 2nd and 3rd grade LA

Post by jer2911mom » Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 am

Hi, we started Beyond this spring (1st grade) and finished up through week 12, day 1 before we finished school for the year. We did the spelling list 1, poetry copywork, and 5th day grammar as written. What I'm trying to figure out is how to handle the LA for 2nd and 3rd grade. Do we continue with the Beyond spelling list 1 and grammar as written, double up on the spelling (I think the list 1 words are fairly easy for my dd, although she still needs work with some sight words) to get to list 2, go ahead and start R&S 2, go ahead and start Cheerful Cursive, or wait until Bigger to start list 2, R&S 2, and Cheerful Cursive? I looked through R&S 2 and my dd already knows quite a bit of it, so I'm hesitant to push it very far out. Also, my dd has an October bday, so is on the older end of her grade to begin with. We finished CLE LA 1, FLL 1, WWE 1, and AAS 1 this year. I'm just confused how to handle the LA in Beyond and Bigger since we are using them across grades.

Thanks!
Kathy

creekmama

Re: Need guidance in how to handle 2nd and 3rd grade LA

Post by creekmama » Fri May 25, 2012 10:16 am

I think you should pick up right where you left off. We didn't start Bigger until January of this year, which would have been half way through second grade if we were in school. But we're not in school! :) Those gentle weekly language lessons were perfect for my son. He thought they were easy and fun! Likewise, spelling has been easy for him, too. I think that's okay. I think he's really learning how to spell and use proper grammar through reading such good books and doing copywork. Have a great summer!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Fri May 25, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks, Kelley! So did you just do the LA as written in Beyond and then start the Bigger LA when you got to it? I'm thinking of going the same route. I think R&S will work out in the end and the spelling will eventually work its way out as we move into dictation. It would be nice to just be using one guide and not going back and forth for LA.

Thanks,
Kathy

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Sat May 26, 2012 5:27 am

That's all I did, Kathy--just started R&S when we got to it in Bigger. And it's been great. I never get any complaints from him about doing R&S--and if he had a complaint, I'd hear about it, believe me! :lol: Grammar continues to be easy and fun for him as does spelling. We're doing Bigger as written, no changes or substitutions. We're still not quite up to full speed, but we're getting there. It's a terrific guide--just like the rest of them! A big part of HOD's appeal for me is its simplicity, so I stick to one guide per kiddo. They're learning, and I'm not losing my mind trying to keep up with everything! :D
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)