little hearts with 7yo? more placement questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sherry80

little hearts with 7yo? more placement questions

Post by sherry80 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:41 pm

I am trying to determine placement. Lauren and Abby, ages 10, 9, place in Bigger with Extensions (4th and 5th grade in the fall).....My 6yo Isaac, 1st in the fall, places in Little Hearts but I think the History readings will be over his head--he is very distractable---I was thinking of waiting until he is 7 to start Little hearts.
We are doing All About Reading Level 1, Handwriting without Tears, and McRuffy Press K Math with him now. My kids all have speech delays so they are a little slower in learning to read and they have also been slower in handwriting. He can do a little bit of handwriting at a time. So he would do Little Hearts at 7, Beyond at 8 and Bigger at 9 with extensions, etc. What do you think? He can join the younger kids in Little Hands as well.
I have an adopted daughter Muna who is 4 who came home 6months ago, she will turn 5 on Sept 13 so she technically misses the K cutoff. Depending on how fast she catches on, I would either start K this fall or hold off on K until the next year. She is learning english really well but does not know all her letters and sounds and has very good handwriting. She has the attention span to sit for readings and focusing on school work. She would place in Little Hands for now but after learning her letters and sounds I think she would be ready for Little Hearts which I could start her with Isaac when they are both ready.
My other boy Eli is 3 and loves school work so i want to start him in Little Hands.

These are the ages of my kids and grade entering in the fall:
1. Lauren age 10, 5th
21mo between #1 and 2
2. Abby age 9, 4th
33mo between #2 and 3
3. Isaac age 6, 1st
19mo between #3 and 4
4. Muna age 4, prek maybe K (sept bday)from ethiopia
19mo between #4 and 5
5. Eli age 3, prek
21mo between #5 and 6
6. Allison age 1
1mo between #6 and 7
7. Kedir age 1 (from ethiopia)

So if you have made it this far!!!!haha what would you recommend? Am I thinking through things correctly? If I start Bigger and Little hands then wait until next year and start Little Hearts with Isaac and Muna when she is ready would that work? Or do you really think I should start Isaac with Little Hearts now? Just trying to think this through. I know many people do multiple guides and that might work here too but I don't want to commit to too much as we are still working on bonding and family adjustments since the adoptions. So what do you think?
Thanks so much!
Sherry

water2wine

Re: little hearts with 7yo? more placement questions

Post by water2wine » Wed May 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Sherry I think you have a great plan. It sounds very wise. :D I am also a mom with adopted kids. The bonding time is very important and it sounds like all things work together for good with your plan. :wink: LHFHG is a great program with lots of flexibility. I did a very similar thing with my kids that had a 2 year age span. It worked great, The appendix of LHFHG has more readings if you need more for your 7 year old. I think you are going to find it is more than enough. You kids will mirror exacly my two littlest ones and it has been absolutely perfect for us as we finish up Preparing with them, so two guides later still great. I think you have a wonderful plan. Congratulations on your adoption!!! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)