Anyone "size up" because they prefer spines/read a

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Anyone "size up" because they prefer spines/read a

Post by Lynnw » Sun May 18, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm thinking about combining an older 1st grader (maybe call him a 1st/2nd) with a K-er next year. By age and skill they probably fall into Beyond Little Hearts. But, to *me* the history and science of Bigger Hearts look more appealing. Does anyone go up a level for richer read alouds and then adjust LA and Math to the appropriate levels?

Thanks!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun May 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi Lynn,

Welcome! It's so nice to "meet" you :wink: :D Though you could size up, I always encourage others to go to the lowest one you "can" because you can always do Bigger next year, but it gets harder to go backwards.

BTW, I own both and though I look forward to do Bigger next year we are having a BALL with "Beyond"! :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Lynn! I want to give you a warm welcome, too! :D Although a couple of years ago, I would have been looking to push my oldest acdemically...because he is sharp and things come so easily for him. I definitely don't think that that's the way to go. (Maybe that's why the Lord led us to send him to the little Christian school he went to for K and 1st... :wink: ) I just got the Bigger Hearts program for my 8 yo (3rd grader), and I am so looking forward to going through it with him!! Someone said a while back on the boards that the HOD programs are so much "meatier" than they look online, and I totally agree! I have LHTH and Bigger, and I'd say that it's true of both of them. While I wouldn't say that your plan absolutely wouldn't work, I'm not sure I'd try it. I'm a little sad that I didn't get to enjoy LHFHG and Beyond with my oldest. I LOVE reading about them on the weekly-check-ins here on the message board. (Have you checked them out? :wink: They'll give you a great idea about the kinds of activities and learning that are going on in other's homes.) And, like Mary said, if you start with Beyond, you can look forward to Bigger next year and they'll be ready for it and get way more out of it.

If you have more questions, ask away! I love the wise advice that I've received from these Godly ladies!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon May 19, 2008 5:02 am

I agree that the programs are meatier than they look. At first I was adding extra science each day to LHFHG. As it turns out, it was too much for my DD. So we've cut back the animal science to days that she's interested. (about once or twice a week) I would look at the placement chart and suggest not bumping them up unless that's where they place on the charts.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 am

Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes!

I will look at the books in "Beyond" again a little more closely and continue to pray about this....

A little more info on us... My oldest will be 4th grade and will be doing a blend of modern history with SOTW4 with a lot of AO readings thrown in. He is also participating in Classical Conversations (my youngers will not do CC). All of us participated in CC this past year and it just about killed the spirit of homeschooling for me (not to mention that I've had a difficult pregnancy this year). For my 2nd son (the 1st/2nd grade one) I feel like while his math and phonics skills progressed, he did not have a very stimulating, engaging year (history, literature, science topics). He seems more advanced for his age than my oldest did at that age and I feel the need to give him more "meat." I don't want him to have another year "spinning his wheels" so to speak. I don't want combining him with my K-er dd to keep him from having lots to chew on.

As for how my choice for the fall effects the following year.... That year I'll have a 5th grader, 2/3 grader, and 1st grader and will start the history cycle over with ancients - possibly using TOG. I'm just not going to combine them all in the fall because I think putting my 1/2 son and my k-er dd into modern history would be dry to them, jmho.

Anyway... thanks for listening to all that. These are some of my thoughts for bumping up. I love the Eggleston book so much more than all the CLP books. I wouldn't mind reading the CLP books on the side, but I don't *think* I want to spend a whole year in them.

More thoughts and opinions (for or against!) are welcome!!!

Thank you!

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Mon May 19, 2008 8:47 am

Hi Lynn!! Warm welcome!

I am just starting out with LHFHG for kindergarten, so no advice, just hello!

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Mon May 19, 2008 9:32 am

happy@home wrote:Hi Lynn!! Warm welcome!

I am just starting out with LHFHG for kindergarten, so no advice, just hello!
Thanks! I'm from KY too - central.

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Mon May 19, 2008 9:36 am

Your welcome! :lol:

I'm from Western KY!

Melanie

Re: Anyone "size up" because they prefer spines/re

Post by Melanie » Mon May 19, 2008 9:43 am

Lynnw wrote:I'm thinking about combining an older 1st grader (maybe call him a 1st/2nd) with a K-er next year. By age and skill they probably fall into Beyond Little Hearts. But, to *me* the history and science of Bigger Hearts look more appealing. Does anyone go up a level for richer read alouds and then adjust LA and Math to the appropriate levels?

Thanks!
Hi Lynn! :D Welcome :D

You've been given some great advice already, and I completely agree with it....but, some of your decision will have to be based on if you plan to stick with HOD long term?? If you plan to stick with it long term, then Beyond will be your best bet. It also depends on how much of HOD you plan to use?? Beyond will match up for better in all the other skill areas.

I love just being able to open the book and do everything on my 2-page spread and be done, but you can sub other subject areas if you want. I wouldn't sub too much though.....you can start to lose some of the "connectedness" (my made up word for the day!) :lol:

I have all of Beyond ready to go for my kiddos in a few weeks, and I have to say, the CLP history books are very rich. I've never read a negative comment about any of the books.

Best of luck with you decision!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 am

Lynn,

I'll just pop-in to say that your almost 2nd grader probably could do "Bigger..", as long as he can handle the writing in it. But, your K-er turning 1st grader would not really be able to take much from it as the readings and activities would be geared for an older child. :D

So, if you want to combine your kiddos, then "Beyond.." is a better bet. If it's more important to you to have everyone exactly on the right level, then you would want to use "Bigger..." for your older child and put your younger one in LHFHG for at least language arts, reading, math, and fine motor skills. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie