Earlybird Kindergarten Questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
glperky

Earlybird Kindergarten Questions

Post by glperky » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

I was given my LHFHG teacher guide; so therefore, I can’t order Earlybird Kindergarten from HOD. The ones that I can purchase from CBD or Singapore have a different front cover; will these match up with the lesson plans in the guide? If not, do you know where I can order some? Do I need a teacher’s manual for these books? Do we know what is math is going to be used in the new LHFHG teacher guide? Thanks for the help.
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!

amysue277

Re: Earlybird Kindergarten Questions

Post by amysue277 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I bought the manual and books used, so was planning on ordering Singapore K soon. I am confused, hod doesn't sell it? What are we to do? I had no idea.
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 pm

amysue277 wrote:I bought the manual and books used, so was planning on ordering Singapore K soon. I am confused, hod doesn't sell it? What are we to do? I had no idea.
I just went to the HOD site to order and the books and it said that since the books are going out of print they will only sell them if you order the teacher guide from them. That was my understanding anyway. I don't know what to do. Hope someone tells me!
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 pm

I was curious, so I went and looked. This is the message:
Due to limited quantities of Earlybird Kindergarten Math 2A/2B, until Carrie is able to complete writing our newest guide in August, we are restricting sale of the Earlybird Math Workbooks to those customers who purchase (or have purchased) the Little Hearts for His Glory guide directly from Heart of Dakota. A new math schedule will be forthcoming for Little Hearts for His Glory after our newest guide is off to the press sometime in August. We appreciate your patience during this time!
What is the new math going to be and if we already have LHFHG and are using it with Earlybird for one child, but will be using it with other children, what will we do about the math plans that are in the guide we currently own? Will there be a pdf file for updates like when other things change?
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed May 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Carrie always puts a pdf file on the website with the changes so people can update their guides. I didn't know she was rewriting the guide to replace the math. I was under the impression that Singapore math was still printing Earlybird math for HOD. No worries, the updates always appear here:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/updates.php
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm

You know after reading the quote from the Little Hearts page, I'm betting that Carrie meant after she is done getting MTMM off to the presses, she will put out a revised math schedule for Little Hearts. Hopefully Carrie or Julie will chime in when they have a moment.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Forgive me ladies, but I am thoroughly confused. So are you saying that Carrie is rewriting the math for LHFHG? Every activity on every page? And if so, there will be a new Singapore (or there already is) guide to go along with that new writing? when is all this happening?

So I will not be able to use Singapore math in the Fall for my kindergartner? that saddens me as I was so looking forward to it. hmmmm...
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 pm

amysue277 wrote:Forgive me ladies, but I am thoroughly confused. So are you saying that Carrie is rewriting the math for LHFHG? Every activity on every page? And if so, there will be a new Singapore (or there already is) guide to go along with that new writing? when is all this happening?

So I will not be able to use Singapore math in the Fall for my kindergartner? that saddens me as I was so looking forward to it. hmmmm...
If you already have the guide and Earlybird books, you are fine. If you purchase them together from the HOD website, you will still be fine. If/when Carrie makes changes to the guide, you can either a) download the updated pdf file from the website if you already have the guide but not the math books and then purchase whatever new math books Carrie chooses or b) just buy the new updated guide and the new books that Carrie chooses to replace the Singapore Earlybird ones.
Dusty
Mommy to

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed May 23, 2012 6:09 pm

So, back to my OQ, do the Earlybird books that you can purchase from Singapore Math go with the Teacher's Guide already out?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

edsnyder

Post by edsnyder » Wed May 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Can you view a preview online at Singpore and compare to see if the stuff is the same? IDK just an idea...
Elisa help meet to my husband Luke of 12 years and mother of three awesome children:
ds9 - Bigger
ds6 - Beyond - Half Speed
dd3 - Little Hands -

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm

edsnyder wrote:Can you view a preview online at Singpore and compare to see if the stuff is the same? IDK just an idea...
Thanks, I'll try it but I think you can only preview a couple of pages.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

glperky

Post by glperky » Wed May 23, 2012 7:10 pm

edsnyder wrote:Can you view a preview online at Singpore and compare to see if the stuff is the same? IDK just an idea...
OK, just so everyone knows, the pages don't match up. So, know what?
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Wed May 23, 2012 8:46 pm

This is just my opinion, but if you do the activities in the guide you really don't need the workbooks. They are just extra for reinforcement. If you have to have a workbook to go with it, and you can't purchase the ones that are sold here, then get something like Singapore Essential Math for Kindergarten. It's really inexpensive, readily available, and you can match up the activities and pages from the workbook pretty easily yourself.

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 pm

The Earlybird books on the Singapore website are NOT the same as the Earlybird books that HOD sells. That is why they don't match up. The ones HOD have are an older version.
Dusty
Mommy to

glperky

Post by glperky » Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 am

Dustybug wrote:The Earlybird books on the Singapore website are NOT the same as the Earlybird books that HOD sells. That is why they don't match up. The ones HOD have are an older version.
Yes, I know, that is why I am wondering what can I do now.
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10