wwyd - placement ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hollyh

wwyd - placement ?

Post by hollyh » Sat May 12, 2012 9:19 pm

My 5 year old will be 6 in december, and I am wondering where to place her. I understand based on her age that LHFHG would fit well. I actually started her on it last year at this time and then freaked out that the read alouds might be too hard for her so I did a different program with her this year but still did SM earlybird, phonics, ARFH and the R&S workbooks. I really should have left her in little hands as she has done wonderfully with even more advanced read alouds this year- just took her a little while to warm up as I had never done chapter books with her before.

I've been looking fwd to doing LHFHG with 1st grade options but am now looking at the placement chart and she seems like she would place well in Beyond- but I don't know if I want her to miss out on LH.. I own both so it's not a big deal either way. What are your thoughts? She is reading at a 1.7 level with excellent comprehension and expression. I expect her to be at a solid 2nd gr level by Aug and ready to start the ERs however I will continue with phonics all next year as I have chosen a pretty extensive program. The spelling in beyond will not be difficult for her. She's not that fond of writing when she is told to but has the ability to write sentences on her own plenty often. :wink:

Gwenny

Re: wwyd - placement ?

Post by Gwenny » Sat May 12, 2012 10:47 pm

If she is placing in Beyond, I would go with that. You can always do the reading from Little Hearts just for fun, especially the great Thornton Burgess books. You could read the books and still ask the questions Carrie has in LHFHG. They are great discussion starters. Maybe do those over the summer if you are waiting until fall to start Beyond.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Sun May 13, 2012 3:20 am

I don't know. Hmmm. My son was reading over a 2 level when we did LHFHG and it was hands down my VERY FAVORITE year homeschooling. That guide is so biblically rich and FUN!! There is a BIG jump, in my opinion, to the academic rigor as well I think jumping into Beyond. You know your child best but I hate that you'd miss out on LHFHG...it's SOOOO good. You could always just do the right side of Beyond and the left side of Little Hearts...
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon May 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I have to say that I would go with LHFHG. Bigger is a big leap from there. For a first grader, LHFHG is PERFECT. You can do whatever you want for math and reading. Just my opinion after doing all of the guides up to Preparing with 4 kiddos. : )
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 17, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for sharing about your dd! :D That helps as we like to give advice fine tuned to each child's skill set. :) LHFHG has been used successfully as a K or a 1st grade program by many families, so it is not intended to be a set placement of one or the other for all dc. :wink: That is why our advice will not be the same every time. For your dd, as she will be 5 yo when she begins LHFHG, and not turning 6 yo until Dec., I would place her in LHFHG as her core program. However, to up her LA/math to match her abilities, you will want to use Beyond's right side plans. She can do the Spelling List 1 plans in the LA box of Beyond, as well as Day 5's gentle grammar introduction in the LA box of Beyond. She can also do the Emerging Reader's Set of books, along with the schedule and reading comprehension questions in the Appendix of Beyond for that set. Likewise, she can do the wonderful hands-on math activities on the right side of the plans of Beyond for Singapore Math 1A/1B. You already own both of the guides, and many, many families do this, so this should be an easy and fitting placement to do! :D

Looking ahead to the following school year, your dd would next do Beyond as her core guide. She would do Spelling List 2, R & S English 2, Drawn into the Heart of Reading 2/3, Singapore Math 2A/2B.

I think this would be a super plan for your dd, and I think you will really enjoy HOD! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie