Bigger or Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
agstefko

Bigger or Beyond?

Post by agstefko » Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I am so excited that I have found HOD! I have two kids that will be in school next year and am not sure which guide to place my ds in. He is 7 and will be starting 2nd grade. I have looked at the placement chart and not sure which one to stick him in.
READING:Either Bigger or Beyond...he is reading independently and we already have DITHOR for next year :)
WRITING:Beyond would be ok. He can copy sentences, but he really doesn't like to write too much and he has a bad habit of using bad handwriting.
Grammer: Bigger would be fine. He did Shurley English 1 this year and I was planning on using either R&S english or Shurley 2 this next year.
MATH: Bigger: We just finished Singapore 1 and will use Singapore 2 next year also.

So overall I am thinking Beyond, but I am not positive because what I have read on the boards is there is a lot more writing required. Thanks :)
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

lissiejo

Re: Bigger or Beyond?

Post by lissiejo » Sat May 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I would go with Beyond. There is quite a bit of writing in Bigger. I used Beyond this year with my 1st grade daughter and she'll do Bigger as a 2nd grader, but if 2nd grade were her first year I'd go with Beyond. There are many skill building things in Beyond that I wouldn't want her to miss.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm

If he doesn't like to write, I would go with Beyond and get the Bigger manual for the math activities that go along with Singapore 2A/2B.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Sun May 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks, I think Beyond might be a nice fit :)
I was thinking about maybe having my dd join in with him. She will be almost 6 then. She can write well, reads CVC words well, and will be ready for Singapore 1A in the fall. She has completed pretty much a K program and has listened into almost all of SL Core B with my son this last year. What do you think?
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 pm

I used Beyond as a 1st grade program with my daughter and it was a great fit for her. She is advanced for her age (she'll be 7 in August) and the challenge was good for her. Always keep in mind that if it's getting to be too much you can slow down the pace for a while. :) Enjoy your year with Bigger! Ours was simply beautiful!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 pm

We'll be finished with Beyond on Wednesday. It has been a fantastic year!!! My ds is a just turned 8 second grader. It has been a perfect fit. We're both excited to start Bigger in August. :D
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR