Pacing Preparing and doing it with two children

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tiffanieh

Pacing Preparing and doing it with two children

Post by tiffanieh » Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi there. I have a few questions about Preparing!!

1. For History narration for example...I'm reading the books aloud to both my boys and they can answer the questions I guess in turn? But am I supposed to get a "group" narration from them combined or take each one alone into a room to get their narration without hearing their brother's narration?? And then we can review them together so each boy can benefit from hearing the critiques they give??

2. My 10 year old can do all the writing required no problem. However my 9 year old does NOT have the endurance his brother has. So I was wondering if I could perhaps start off having him do a lot of the written exercises where he dictates it to me to write, then gradually turning over the writing over to him so that perhaps by unit 16 he is ramped up??
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

MicheleW

Re: Pacing Preparing and doing it with two children

Post by MicheleW » Sat May 12, 2012 8:12 pm

For History narration for example...I'm reading the books aloud to both my boys and they can answer the questions I guess in turn? But am I supposed to get a "group" narration from them combined or take each one alone into a room to get their narration without hearing their brother's narration??
I would love to see an answer to this as well. I am doing Bigger with 2 children. After I read the read-alouds, I am never sure how to get a narration. I hope someone has an answer to this. Does anyone else read books to more than one child?
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun May 13, 2012 1:48 pm

waiting for answers too!!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

jen_good

Post by jen_good » Sun May 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Hello.

I'm currently using Bigger with 2 dc. I don't know if this is the best way, but I read half of the assigned pages and ask one of them to narrate what I read up to that point. I then read the rest of the pages and ask the other to narrate the rest.

I hope that helps.

Jen

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

jen_good wrote:
I read half of the assigned pages and ask one of them to narrate what I read up to that point. I then read the rest of the pages and ask the other to narrate the rest.

I hope that helps.

I've done Beyond, Bigger, and now Preparing with two children. This is how we've done narrations most of the time too. Sometimes I'll read, then have two different buttons hidden in my hand, each one assigned to a child; and whichever one I pull out, that's who does the narration that time.

In my opinion, I think it would be o.k. to have your son do as much writing as he can to begin with and dictate the rest and slowly work him up to doing it all himself. Unit 16 would be a good place to have him completing it himself so that he will be prepared to head into the next guide.

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm currently using Bigger with 2 dc. I don't know if this is the best way, but I read half of the assigned pages and ask one of them to narrate what I read up to that point. I then read the rest of the pages and ask the other to narrate the rest.
That is a good idea! I don't know why I never thought of that. It seems so obvious now that you say it. :oops:
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension