Considering options for dd 12 & ds 14

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Considering options for dd 12 & ds 14

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am

Hello, all! It's been quite a while since I've been very active on the boards. :? We took kind of a break from HOD. I was planning to get through Beyond with my 8 yo, but still have not completed it.....I AM still planning to finish, though. Then move on into the next guides as we get to them. I am not concerned about his being just above the rec. age range when he turns 9 in June. I think it will still be an enjoyable program for him.

My question today mostly concerns my eldest daughter and son. I am thinking of placing dd in Rev to Rev. Then she'll be on track to start with the Geography guide when she gets to high school and I can avoid adding material to make it high school credit-worthy. For my 14 yo son, I have been planning to just use a different publisher because it's easier to use something that is already hs level than to try to beef something up, in my opinion. However, I was wondering if I add the extension pack to Rev to Rev for him, does that make it hs credit-worthy or would I still need to add other materials? I just don't want to have to do that..... :?

Thanks so much for any help! :wink:

8arrows

Re: Considering options for dd 12 & ds 14

Post by 8arrows » Thu May 10, 2012 10:59 am

For history, it is credit worthy with extensions. For governement, you would need to add something like The 5,000 Year Leap. You would also need to add for Bible and literature, but not for history. Carrie has a sticky post concerning what to add. I am using REV2REV next year for my daughter's 9th grade year, and I am finding it to look far better and easier to implement than what I used for her brothers that was deemed "high school" level and "laid-out".

I find it far easier to combine and add for the eldest than to try to run a completely separate high school program when I have children close in age.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu May 10, 2012 11:43 am

We are doing Rev2Rev for high school. If you add the extension books (or even substitute the extensions for the Basic package), that brings the history up to credit worthy. If you choose the advanced set for science, science will be high school worthy. I assume you are already using something for math. You would continue at grade-level (we are using VideoText Algebra). For LA, you could use a high school program or you can just make sure your DITHOR selections are high school level books. If you use R&S Grammar, you want to get through book 7 & 8, which Carrie figures a 1/2 book a year, but if you are behind (like we are) you can go full-speed. You just need a writing curriculum to finish out a high school LA credit. For Bible, Carrie suggests just adding some Bible reading to make Bible one credit. (Credits can be based on time, so by adding a little time, you bump it up to high school credit.) She also suggests you could add a little to the music, but I have chosen to add Spanish, so we are not doing that. It really doesn't take much alteration. With the history extension, and doing math and LA on level, you are pretty well on your way to a high school program.

I have an 8th grader and a high school student doing RTR this year and it is kind of nice that they can talk about what they are learning. They work on their maps together, listen to the CDs together, and compare notebooks.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks, ladies. I have some things to consider. I am doing Beyond in the afternoons with my 8 yo while his sisters nap. I'm expecting to be able to do the same with the older kids' teacher-directed subjects as needed, that way the mornings are fairly open for playing with the little girls, baking, errands, activities, as well as pre-k activities once we begin that with the 3 yo and her little sister (when they get there). Anyone else with suggestions or thoughts, please pipe up, too! :o

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Thu May 10, 2012 2:18 pm

We're using Rev2Rev next year for high school, and we just finished RTR (today!!) for 9th grade, high school. It really isn't hard to "beef up" at all, if you are already using high school level math and language arts. We are using Apologia for science, because that is the path we were on before finding HOD, and our dd LOVES it. But, to "beef up" the rest of HOD as written isn't a problem at all. We use the extension packs, and I add in some readings from an Abeka high school level history text as they apply to our HOD topics.

We also use other high school level subjects (i.e. foreign language, health) on Fridays, since HOD is only scheduled for 4 days. Add to that violin lessons, orchestra, karate, and field trips and classes with our homeschool group, we have a VERY thorough and well-rounded high school program. HOD is an awesome fit, and I'm SO glad that the Lord led us to it just in time for high school!! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

inHistiming wrote:
My question today mostly concerns my eldest daughter and son. I am thinking of placing dd in Rev to Rev. Then she'll be on track to start with the Geography guide when she gets to high school and I can avoid adding material to make it high school credit-worthy. For my 14 yo son, I have been planning to just use a different publisher because it's easier to use something that is already hs level than to try to beef something up, in my opinion. However, I was wondering if I add the extension pack to Rev to Rev for him, does that make it hs credit-worthy or would I still need to add other materials? I just don't want to have to do that..... :?
Hi there,

I'm on a similar journey as you...sorting through the plan and which path. I think you can quickly discern what you need to do across the curriculum to make Rev to Rev high school worthy, especially since Rev to Rev is high school worthy in the area of history. It's the other subject areas you need to examine. And if you start with Rev to Rev it would be worthwhile to do a long-range plan over the course of 4 years to make sure you plan everything where it fits best. The challenge imho will be developing the long range plan and "scheduling" it. I think it is worthwhile to sit down and take the time to plan out where you'll be in each subject area over the course of a year. Yes, there are other curricula that are laid out. I don't really know how the content compares to HOD, but HOD content is exceptional. Since you are talking high school, once you've put forth the energy to lay out a plan it shouldn't require as much from you - other than oversight. The question is do you want to put forth the effort to develop a 4-year plan, identify what you need across the curriculum AND schedule it?
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM