Need help finding a post about being 1 guide short...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Need help finding a post about being 1 guide short...

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed May 09, 2012 12:14 pm

I am making some choices regarding my youngest son. His birthday is right on the cut-off for our state and I went ahead and started him in Kindergarten before he turned 5. We used Calvert that year and then started with HOD when he was in 1st grade (Little Hearts).

Now he is finishing 3rd grade and Bigger Hearts. Academically, he is doing GREAT. Emotionally, maturity-wise, and somewhat fine motor wise, I am regretting putting him "officially" in Kindergarten so soon. In hindsight, I should have worked with him at home and not officially registered him until the following year due to his very late birthday.

Now I am considering having him re-enrolled in grade 3. Like I said, academically, he is solid and we will not be going back or doing Bigger Hearts again. We will move on with Preparing and level 4 math as planned. However, doing this puts us one guide "off." I know there was a thread here recently that asked this question and I have searched, but cannot find it. My overall question is what should I do when this is the lineup:

3rd - Preparing
4th - CTC
5th - RTR
6th - Rev to Rev
7th - MtMM
8th - ????
9th - Geog through History
10th - World History
11th - Am Hist to 1900/Govt
12th - Am Hist 1900-Present/Econ

So, um...what do I do for 8th grade if I hold him back??

Thanks everyone! This has been a tough decision for my husband and I.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Gwenny

Re: Need help finding a post about being 1 guide short...

Post by Gwenny » Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

I would just slow down and maybe do half speed for the next guide or so. If he gets a little older and more mature he will get more out of the guides anyway. That will give him time to pursue other interests.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, that is part of the problem. He is very advanced academically and he DOES get a lot from the guides. He standardized test scores are all several grade levels above. That is why I went ahead and started him in K when he was not even 5 yet. Last year, his reading level was 7th grade...this year, it is high school level. His lexile is higher than my 8th grade son's. However, he is about 50 inches tall and weighs around 55 pounds. His handwriting and even the "filling in the circle" on the standardized tests are a struggle for him. He is writing all of his poetry copywork without a problem, but it is not nearly as neat as I would like it to be by the start of 4th grade. He is also pretty emotionally inmature - potty humor, whining, just a lack of maturity that I think is caused, in part, by his very young age when compared to his peers.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed May 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I see what you are saying. I think that I would stop focusing on how well he's doing academically and help him mature and grow in the other areas. That's more important right now, especially since he's "ahead". He needs less book work and more work. :). I would get him outside running and jumping and riding his bike (maybe he does-just ideas here)- digging a garden, digging holes (come up with a reason) woodworking, build a fort, build with Legos-have him design different things like a bridge that opens, something complicated that he needs to use his smarts for, do electronics, get circuit sets. I would focus on physical activity, hard physical work so that he's tired, teach him not to whine. Make sure you don't wait on him hand and foot, let him cook, clean up, make the family's lunch everyday. Get the book "Backyard Ballistics" and let him pick some things to do. There are so many things that are just as important as academics and if he's only book smart that won't be good. My husband works in semiconductor design and there are some really intelligent, 4.0 scholars that come for a job and they have no people skills and they don't want to hire them. They would take the average scholar who can work as a team, is mature, pleasant to be around, etc.

Anyway, just some thoughts-maybe you are doing some of these. Don't get too bogged down with "school". He's very young!!!!
Blessings,
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed May 09, 2012 3:06 pm

I am not sure I would change anything if he is doing well academically. I did think Nancy's suggestions were great to add for a boy though!!!! Is he in community sports or clubs that being with younger children instead of always being the youngest would be helpful? I can see that, but as far as HOD and homeschooling, I am not sure if makes much difference what we call them. He has a long way to go until he graduates. He could mature quickly at any point along the line.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Here's a helpful post, be sure to scroll down to carrie's comments at the end. Plus it links to other posts.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11576&p=84890&hilit ... ear#p84890
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed May 09, 2012 4:13 pm

You've already received such good advice already, so I'll just add to your already great suggestions! :D

One thought would be to just plan the first quarter of the next four guides doing it at half speed. That way you stretch out the guides just a bit, and also gives your son a nice way to "ease" into the next guide and get used to the new flow of his day. I wouldn't do much more than that at half speed, as it sounds like your son can handle the work load. However, it would be a nice transition to the next guide. After four guides, if my quick math is right :wink: , then you'd have that "extra year" worked in. Just a thought, you'll know what is best for your little guy! :wink:

Blessings! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!