Do I need Drawn Into the Heart of Reading for 3rd grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momnwife

Do I need Drawn Into the Heart of Reading for 3rd grader?

Post by momnwife » Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 pm

We are finishing BLHFHG this year and my son is 2nd grade. I plan to purchase BHFHG for next year. Do I need DIHR too? I don't see a reading list for BHFHG? We are loving the books this year. I've begun my shopping for next year and am anxious to put this all together.

THANKS!!!
Angie
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Angie,

Hi! :D I don't think I've "met" you before. I'm getting ready to do Bigger with my oldest, too! We're so excited...and wish we would have found HOD last year!

If your son is done with the Emerging Readers, then he is ready to move on to DITHOR. If not, you can continue with the Emerging Readers this coming year.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

momnwife

Thanks, Kathleen

Post by momnwife » Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm

I've used HOD this past year and really love it for my younger 2 boys. I have 3 boys (13, 7, & 4). So if I purchase DITHOR, can I use it for multiple years and just move up in my books? I'm still trying to understand how HOD works for the older kids. One year at a time!!

Happy New Day!
In His Love,
Angie
3 boys (13, 7, 4)
same DH 15 years (WOW!! and I'm keeping him!!)
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Angie,

You're exactly right about the DITHOR teacher guide...you just keep on using it. :D You would just pick books from the 9 genres at your child's reading level. (The sample book list for $5 that Carrie put together is great. I just got it with my DITHOR stuff last month. It has books that she reccommends listed by genre and reading level.) There are also student books that are consumable, but reproducible for your family. There are 3 levels of these...2/3, 4/5, 6/7/8. From what I've read here, it seems that they vary more on the amount of writing than the level of reading that your child is doing...sooo even if your child is reading above level, you may still want to go with a lower level student book not to overwhelm them with writing.

Is this what you wanted to know?
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat May 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Angie,

Kathleen did such a great job of helping you! :D I'll just also mention that the read-alouds in "Bigger..." are your choice of Boy, Girl, or Classic Set or any combination of those (like it was in "Beyond...").

Drawn into the Heart of Reading is for the books your children read to you. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

momnwife

THANKS!! That is exactly what I needed to know

Post by momnwife » Mon May 19, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm writing my shopping list and plan to do one big order next month. Thanks for your wisdom and advance.

Happy New Day!
In His Love,
Angie
3 boys (13, 7, & 4)
same DH for 15 years (I'm keeping him!!)