FYI: Health Issues and HOD...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

FYI: Health Issues and HOD...

Post by Carrie » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 am

Ladies,

I just wanted to let you know that my sister Julie and I's dad, Ken, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a month ago. He had surgery a little over two weeks ago and continues to struggle in the hospital to recover from the surgery. It appears he will be there at least another week or two. We praise the Lord that the cancer was found early and the tumor was small (at 1.7 cm). The surgery he had was a very major surgery called the Whipple procedure, and chemo. will be ahead for him after he heals a bit. So, this will be a journey that extends for at least the next 6 months. The prognosis is very good at this time.

The reason I am sharing this with all of you is to let you know why it may be taking us a bit longer to get back to you at times than it has in the past. We are very close to our Dad and have been at the hospital daily. Our mother is grateful for our support, but this means my husband and Julie's husband have had to step in and do many things that we normally do. We appreciate your patience during this time! Our dad is a man with a huge faith, and we know that the Lord takes care of us all, so we trust the Lord for what is ahead.

We continue forward with writing/editing the new guide and all that is involved in running our business, yet we appreciate your thoughts and prayers. We are so grateful to all of you who help one another on the board as this helps us so much too! The Lord has filled this board with women of faith who uplift and encourage one another, and we are blessed by your presence. :D We look forward to continuing to serve you in the future.

Blessings,
Carrie

scampbell2003

Re: FYI: Health Issues and HOD...

Post by scampbell2003 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Carrie
Praying your dad heals quickly from surgery. Also strength for all of you as you care for him and keep him company:-) Cherish these extra unplanned moments with your dad! I am sure you will all have some great times together. Thank you for sharing! I will continue to pray for all of you.
Samantha wife to Matt 11 years!

Mom to
Madison DD 10 5th grade Bigger Hearts
Colin DS 8 2nd grade Little Hearts
Logan DS 4 Pre PreK Little Hands
Evan DS almost 2

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Carrie,
I'm glad I caught this post. Thank you for the update on your father. You all continue to be in our family's prayers.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu May 03, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the update Carrie, your entire family and your Dad have been in my prayers.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 pm

We'll definitely be remembering your Dad in our prayers! :wink: We pray for HOD regularly as God uses this curriculum in homeschooling families lives, and are so thankful for all that you do to provide such a Christ-centered program for us to use!

Rejoicing over the good prognosis for your Dad and will be in prayer that God supplies him and your family with the strength needed for this time!

Blessings! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

We will be praying for you and your family, Carrie. What a blessing that it was found early!

mom23

Post by mom23 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Praying for your family!
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers. :D They are appreciated more than you can know. We are so thankful that the cancer was caught early and pray daily for our father to recover.

I also wanted let those of you who may not know, that my sister Julie is my3son's on this board. She is a huge part of our business and our ministry as she writes our catalog copy, takes care of all booth preparation and pricing for conventions, helps ship product with her son from our warehouse weekly, answers the message board, designs our photobooks, types the Appendix of all of our guides, helps me talk through all of my ideas and plans for each guide, as well as also being the editor of each of our guides, so this affects her family as much as mine. Together we appreciate your patience with us and your heartfelt responses. We feel privileged to be a part of the board. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Thu May 03, 2012 1:59 pm

So sorry to hear about your father. I pray his health is restored soon!

Praying for all of your family!
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

Robin Ruth

Post by Robin Ruth » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Carrie & Julie,
So sorry to hear about your dad, but grateful to hear that his cancer was caught early. We will definitely keep your dad and the entire family in our prayers. I feel so blessed that I was able to find HOD so early in my homeschool "career!" I just placed my first order on Tuesday & can't wait to look through the box when it gets here! Thanks so much for everything that the both of you do! :D You have truly touched so many lives.

In Christ,
Robin
Robin
married for 22 years
dd 10 PHFHG /DITHOR 4/5

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Thu May 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Carrie and Julie,

We would be honored to pray for healing for your dad as well as for strength for you and your families! May the Lord be a comfort and pillar of strength to all of you during this difficult time!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Carrie & Julie,

Our family is blessed by your ministry each day. We will be praying for both of you, your families and your father each day as we open our guides to do our school work in our home.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Adding your father and your families to my prayer list. I am so sorry, but so glad it was caught early.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Thu May 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Carrie and Julie,

What a dear and precious blessing you have been to me and my family. It would be an honor to pray for you and your family daily. Praying for complete healing and recovery for your dad and for your family's strength and the peace of our Lord Jesus right now.

God bless you ALL!
Miranda
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 pm

I am so very thankful that this cancer was caught early and that the future looks hopeful. My mother went through chemo and it was a difficult time for us as a family, but also a time where we all drew closer to the Lord in dependence upon Him. Praying for complete healing for him and strength, endurance, and perseverance for you and Julie as well as your husbands and families. God is using HOD so mightily in so many families, and I know that He will bless and strengthen you to continue on during this time.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008