Question about Extensions:

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Question about Extensions:

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed May 02, 2012 10:44 pm

I should know the answer to this, but I have allowed myself to do some doubting, so here goes:

My son will be 13 in August and is working at an 8th grade level schooling year round. He is in the first 1/4 of Rev to Rev right now and doing great...but I am not sure about whether or not I should have been using the extensions. We have NOT been using them because he falls right at the age range to NOT use them...however, gradewise, it seems like he SHOULD use them. So which should I go by...age or grade? I am thinking of this more now since we are about to enter high school around December of this year.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

mamas4bugs

Re: Question about Extensions:

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 am

Personally, I'd go by ability. :) If he needs them, then add them in. If not, then don't worry about it, at least not until Dec.

As far as high school goes, there was just an interesting thread on using the extensions instead of the basic books in high school, if you find yourself constrained by the time necessary to meet other high school class requirements.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11732

HTH! We're about to have to navigate this whole high school thing ourselves. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

my3sons

Re: Question about Extensions:

Post by my3sons » Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Rebecca! Personally I wouldn't assign them. :D He is still in the target age range of RevtoRev, and truly doesn't need them. However, if he would enjoy reading them on the side at his leisure, then that may be neat to do. :) HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie