Do I need Emerging reader set & DITHOR?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christy in Texas

Do I need Emerging reader set & DITHOR?

Post by Christy in Texas » Thu May 15, 2008 2:24 pm

I was thinking that DITHOR is what I needed for reading for my 9 year old. Now I totally see that he should be doing the emerging reader set FIRST. Do I need both or are they done one after the other?? Thanks :)
Christy, wife to Danny of 14 years, mom to
Brycen 5/7/99
Emily 10/10/02
Hannah 10/10/02

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 pm

One after another. Emerging Reader then DITHOR.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu May 15, 2008 2:49 pm

If his reading level is already past the emerging reading level, then you could just begin with Drawn and skip the emerging readers. Or, you could even start in the middle of the emerging readers if he is past the beginning ones.
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Melanie wrote:If his reading level is already past the emerging reading level, then you could just begin with Drawn and skip the emerging readers. Or, you could even start in the middle of the emerging readers if he is past the beginning ones.
:D Mel
Christy - I checked a few of the emerging readers out from our library...the ones I could find. I did this to check where my son would be. The emerging readers increase in difficulty, so if some are too easy and some are difficult for him, you could start in the middle like Melanie said. :wink:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Christy,

You already received wonderful answers. I just wanted to confirm that you only need the emerging readers if your child is not ready to read independently yet.

However, even if they are reading independently, the great thing is that Carrie really helps slowly emerge your child from phonics to independence. Level 2/3 has them still read a little bit to you during their read time.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Thu May 15, 2008 10:25 pm

I thought my Dd could the the DITHOR but she's an emerging reader. I thought she was reading on her own with no problems when in fact she did have some problems. So now she reads the ERs and I read the books I bought for DITHOR.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/